We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fine-tuning now needed - Auckland to Rotorua via Thames

Which Thames hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
reviews: 30
Fine-tuning now needed - Auckland to Rotorua via Thames

Hi everyone, Getting down to the nitty-gritty of our short holiday. Is this feasible - leave Auckland early Friday am (25/6) head to Thames. Stop to stretch legs and see motel we used to holiday in as a youngster. On SH26 to Waihi to see gold mine then via Katikati to see murals and onto to Rotorua for the night. Is that too much to do in one day? Realise we are missing Coromandel Pen but will do that on summer visit. Am I missing something major on that route that we should stop and see. Thanks all...K

Sydney
1. Re: Fine-tuning now needed - Auckland to Rotorua via Thames

OMG - just read old threads about "K" Gorge and walks there. Should we be doing one of those??

I guess what I am really trying to do is:

See sights enroute from Auckland to Rotorua however via Thames and/or east coast.

We have 8 days in total, 9 nights (arrive late 24/6 - fly out afternoon 3/7) - want to spend a couple of days in Rotorua. One to two days at Mt Ruapehu and one day in Auckland to show kids Whenuapai where I grew up.

So if have first night Auckland, (1) - (3) nights Rotorua, (2) nights Turangi/Taupo, (1) Hamitlon (or somewhere enroute to AKL) and then last night (1) AKL...that would leave one night somewhere on the way from Auckland to Rotorua. Hope that makes my earlier post a bit clearer. Thanks.

Orewa, New Zealand
reviews: 3
2. Re: Fine-tuning now needed - Auckland to Rotorua via Thames

I suggest you leave early to avoid Auckland rush hour traffic and to allow plenty of time for stops but this is certainly feasible and a really nice drive, There are hot pools at Miranda which are worth the diversion. Karangahake Gorge is worth a stop as is Waihi and Waihi Beach and you might even have time for a detour to Mount Maunganui. Lovely walk around the Mount or to the top, more hot pools at the bottom.

Sydney
3. Re: Fine-tuning now needed - Auckland to Rotorua via Thames

Thanks for your advice - that sounds perfect and as I had miscounted nights, we now actually have one spare night so will meander even more slowly and stop for the night at the Mount. Thanks again.

New Zealand
reviews: 8
4. Re: Fine-tuning now needed - Auckland to Rotorua via Thames

Karangahake Gorge is well worth a stop, there's a great cafe/winery tucked in up a small side road within the gorge where you could stop for lunch;

www.ohinemuri.co.nz/aboutohinemuri.html

If you do a walk make sure you include the old rail tunnel, there are glow worms on the ceiling towards the centre, approach quietly and without light. A torch is a good idea even though you can see the tiny little circle of light at the end.

Sydney
5. Re: Fine-tuning now needed - Auckland to Rotorua via Thames

Thanks Zappers - we have so many exciting things now planned for our holiday and it is all down to the wonderful advice from yourself and fellow TA members. Cannot wait. Bring on the fine, cold days and snow for Mt Ruapehu. Hold off on the rain for the last week of June for us. Anyone heading to Sydney, weather currently is extraordinarily mild and beautiful clear blue sunny days. Dragging out the winter woollies however for our NZ adventure. thanks K

6. Re: Fine-tuning now needed - Auckland to Rotorua via Thames

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 07, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Thames
More Thames Topics