We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penguin Tour

Which Launceston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong
Penguin Tour

We are thinking of joining a penguin tour in Low Head in early Feb. However, it costs a lot if we ask for a pick up service to and from our stay in Adina Place Motel Apartment. Is it safe to drive at night from Low Head back to Launceston. It is said that no lamp posts are found, is it the case? Thanks.

3 replies to this topic
Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
reviews: 72
1. Re: Penguin Tour

There are no street lights on the East Tamar Highway, but it also happens to be the best highway in Tasmania. It was built for the Pulp-Mill-That-Never-Was. I think it will be OK for you to drive at night, but be careful as there are many animals on it at night.

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
2. Re: Penguin Tour

Rural roads in Australia are not lit, and wildlife are more likely to be wandering when it is darker, though they can be encountered at any time.

>>It was built for the Pulp-Mill-That-Never-Was.<< Interesting. I read the threads as much for myself to learn things.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
3. Re: Penguin Tour

When we recently visited Tasmania, we coined the phrase "YADA YADA" for the experience of driving on rural roads: "Yet Another Dead Animal". Even living in rural WA as I do, I have never seen so many run over critters on the highways. It was very sad :-( So as Luigi recommends, drive carefully at night.

Reply to: Penguin Tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted