We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gladstone to Mackay

Which Gladstone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 49
Gladstone to Mackay

Hello

I am driving between these two locations. I'm looking for some advice for places worth seeing en route and also somewhere around halfway that would be a lovely place to stay (with a caravan). Happy to go a bit off course (from the Bruce Highway) as long as it is not too far.

Thank you

Matthew

3 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 576
1. Re: Gladstone to Mackay

Hi,

This part of the journey is not very interesting. The best place to stop is Yeppoon. It's a lovely seaside village with a beach & plenty of good restaurants.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 27
2. Re: Gladstone to Mackay

When are you going? If it's soon, a lot of the coastal parks are likely to be heavily booked.

As Ellemay says, there's little in the way of beautiful spots between the two. Yeppoon's really the only possibility. Or maybe Byfield if you like national park camping, not sure about the caravan. Between Rockhampton and Mackay, there's virtually nothing except a long highway.

Mackay, Australia
reviews: 2
3. Re: Gladstone to Mackay

Hi, Yeppoon is very nice. but there are many spots on the way from Rockhampton to Mackay that are worth a look.

150 km north you will come to a Driver reviver stop called Waverly Creek. This has great amenities and a 3 day max stay. (I think) . Then further on is St Lawrence. free sites are is available at the Rec. Ground. A little further north is Clairview. This is a small fishing town. It's the only place that the Highway and the ocean meet on the trip. It is well worth a stop at the free site or the caravan park.80km south of Mackay is Carmilla beach. It is a free site , with lovely beachs. (good fishing too) then lots of buetiful spots within Mackay region itself. If you need any more info let me know. Andrew - Mackay tourism

Reply to: Gladstone to Mackay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted