We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Te Anau Food Shopping

Which Te Anau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
reviews: 4
Te Anau Food Shopping

Hi - My girlfriend and I will be in Te Anau on Sunday, Nov 18 - we're there for about 2 hours before hitting the Milford Track.

Can anybody please help us with a question: Will food stores be open on Sunday and if yes, are there any you recommend for tramping food?

Thanks in advance!

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 44
1. Re: Te Anau Food Shopping

I think Te Anau has two supermarkets? Fresh Choice and 4 Square, both open Sundays www.fiordland.org.nz/listings.asp…

I know 4 Square stocks dehydrated tramping meals (or used to) and no doubt Fresh Choice will too.

I think the tramping stores will be closed Sundays.

hope this helps :)

California
reviews: 4
2. Re: Te Anau Food Shopping

Wanaka - excellent news! We'll stock up on food (and, truth be told...maybe a little booze...) before hitting the bus to Milford. Thanks for the quick and informative reply.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 131
3. Re: Te Anau Food Shopping

Te Anau is a very pleasant village. It is not a "metropolus" so shopping choices are quite limited. However the shops there do cater for trampers

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
4. Re: Te Anau Food Shopping

Te Anau may be small but the Fresh Choice supermarket is top class for a low population.

North Carolina
reviews: 29
5. Re: Te Anau Food Shopping

The Fresh Choice is the bigger and better of the 2 with a much wider selection. They do carry dehydrated meals (although I brought mine over from the US). Basically, you want food that's small, light easy to carry and high-energy (chocolate, nuts. granola bars, etc).

You'll find people on the Track bring a wide variety of food. Just remember that whatever you have to carry in, you have to carry out; I found it was a fine line between having comfort food (and drink), and not wanting to lug extra weight.

There is a Subway in town, but no other chains. You can also buy last minute goodies (soda, candy) on the boat ride over to the start if the track.

There is an Outside Sports (small REI type store) on the main street that carries a great selection of hiking items if you have last minute needs; I'm just not sure if they are open Sundays.

Three things to not forget: lighter, headlamp and flip-flops! Have a great time.

Edited: 4:42 am, November 06, 2012
new zealand
reviews: 260
6. Re: Te Anau Food Shopping

Te Anau is the entrance to the Routeburn, Kepler and MIlford tracks. The shops are absolutely brillant for trampers. The Fresh Choice carries all the tramping food you will need and lots of it. Lots of dehydrated meals and food choices. All the bars etc. Te Anau has everything you need. We were impressed!

KL, Malaysia
reviews: 105
7. Re: Te Anau Food Shopping

Fresh Choice is fantastic for such a small town!

Boston...
reviews: 32
8. Re: Te Anau Food Shopping

Anyone know if this FreshChoice is open on Christmas day? I checked the website, but it doesn't say anything about being closed for any holidays. Thanks!

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
9. Re: Te Anau Food Shopping

Fresh Choice and most supermarkets will be closed on Xmas day.

Te Anau, New Zealand
10. Re: Te Anau Food Shopping

The Fresh Choice supermarket is open every day from 7am to 9pm except Xmas day and the morning of ANZAC day