We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving Car overnight at Milford Sound

Which Te Anau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NSW Australia
reviews: 35
Leaving Car overnight at Milford Sound

I'm booked on the overnight Milford Sound Cruise and I was planning to drive my rental car there and park it overnight. Is this safe?

I've read elsewhere that a lot of rental cars get broken into all over NZ. We'll be travelling early Jan 09.

Your thoughts on where to store any valuables eg laptop...

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
reviews: 29
1. Re: Leaving Car overnight at Milford Sound

I wouldn't say a lot of rentals get broken into, but it happens, as it does anywhere. Take the obvious precautions like not leaving valuables in plain view, and get a sedan rather than a hatch so you can lock your bags in the trunk

Milford is not noted as being a hot spot for break ins, in fact in my experience there has not been one - yet, but you don't want to be the first.

After the buses have departed you may be able to leave your car in the coach park beside the terminal, which is a bit more secure; ask when you check in.

If you are seriously concerned you could leave your car in the secure parking in Te Anau, and take the coach into Milford.

Perth
reviews: 6
2. Re: Leaving Car overnight at Milford Sound

We parked our car in the coach/bus parking are as there was no-one else there, however didn't leave anything in it.

We carried our valuables, including laptop with us in backpacks/overnight luggage as you can lock your cabin door on board. Our suitcases were left locked with our accommodation venue from the night before in Te Anau (Blue Thistle Cottages) - were happy to keep them overnight and we collected on our way out.

NSW Australia
reviews: 35
3. Re: Leaving Car overnight at Milford Sound

Just a follow up:

They let us park our car overnight in the coach/bus parking right out side the departure "lounge".

We ended up taking our valuables with us onto the boat. We carried/pulled a full-sized airline case onto the boat. There was enough room in the cabin, and it was handy to have the laptop to download and look at all the pictures - there is a powerpoint in the cabin, but of course, there is no internet.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
reviews: 29
4. Re: Leaving Car overnight at Milford Sound

Thanks for the heads up, John. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Cheers,

Barry

5. Re: Leaving Car overnight at Milford Sound

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, October 20, 2009