We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Stewart Island

Which Stewart Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
milnthorpe
Visiting Stewart Island

Can anyone recommend a visit to Steward Island? Would like to see a Kiwi(bird) but havent got much time. Can it be done in a daytrip? This looks expensive. Is the weather variable? If we stay on the island, any reasonable priced accommodation recommended? Thanks for info in advance! Annie

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 48
1. Re: Visiting Stewart Island

Hello Annie, it sounds like a trip to wonderful Stewart Island isn't for you.

Where else are you planning to travel? There are various places around the country where you can see kiwi, though probably not in the wild.

milnthorpe
2. Re: Visiting Stewart Island

Thanks for your quick response. Is that because there is not enough time? Can you put a few more details down for me? We are keen birders but often have limited time! Dont really want to see Kiwi in a zoo! I understand that one night can be long enough.

New Zealand
reviews: 9
3. Re: Visiting Stewart Island

pasturesgreen, can you post your itinerary around the time you're thinking of visiting Stewart Island. This will help us help you. Stewart Island isn't a day trip or even an overnighter if you aren't in the area.

Sydney Australia
reviews: 61
4. Re: Visiting Stewart Island

if you just want a tick for a wild kiwi of some sort there are easier ways to do it. Okarito kiwi tours for example over by the west coast glaciers.

We very much enjoyed our time on Stewart island, but I totally agree with both previous comments... sounds like its not for you and your particular itinerary is an important consideration.

Wellington, NZ
reviews: 57
5. Re: Visiting Stewart Island

I would say you should spend at least two nights on Stewart Island to make it worth while. And that's assuming you are already in the Bluff/Invercargill area. There are no guarantees you will see kiwis there either, although there is plenty of bird life around (especially on Ulva Island). You will need to leave time to get out into the bush - dusk is the best time to spot kiwis.

The weather is very variable, and it's one of the windiest places in New Zealand.

6. Re: Visiting Stewart Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 13, 2011