We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guy cling the wineries in gibbston valley

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin Rapids...
reviews: 1
Guy cling the wineries in gibbston valley

I read earlier about the gibbston valley wine trail and my husband and I would love to cycle it (or walk but would prefer cycling). We are having a hard time with the logistics, it seems you have to book a tour group in order to rent a bike near the wineries? Any advice? The problem is we would like transport so neither of us has to drive but we don't really want to be stuck with someone else's itinerary for us/some of the extras like a packed lunch or a bottle of water which just racks up the price. Thanks!

9 replies to this topic
Wisconsin Rapids...
1. Re: Guy cling the wineries in gibbston valley

Oops! Just saw my computer changed what I typed, I meant cycling!

Oz
reviews: 32
2. Re: Guy cling the wineries in gibbston valley

Hi,

Sorry to report that poor Guy Cling was cycling drunk after a winery tour and was run down and killed by OS tourists in a Motor Home. So sad! Guy clung to life for a short time and his last words were “did the Pinot make it”? Guy leaves behind a very Clingy family and may be missed after a week or two!

However once you are over Guy’s trauma you may find this link to a cycling wine tour of the valley of interest? BTW the Pinot Ice is to do what Guy did and “die for”!

nzbybike.com/the-queenstown-trail/gibbston-r…

Cheers,

California
reviews: 56
3. Re: Guy cling the wineries in gibbston valley

No tour required!

Rent a bicycle from either Queenstown Bike Tours or Arrowtown Bikes in Arrowtown. Ride down the Arrowtown River and as far on the Gibbston Valley Wine Trail as you like. When you have had enough, call the rental company and they'll pick you and the bikes up!

We rented from Queenstown Bike Tours - http://www.queenstownbiketours.co.nz - and they picked us up at Chard Farm Winery. We were very happy with the service.

Wisconsin Rapids...
4. Re: Guy cling the wineries in gibbston valley

Awesome! Thank you! Which ones were your favorite wineries? Are the tastings reasonably priced for the most part or is it better to pick and choose a bit?

California
5. Re: Guy cling the wineries in gibbston valley

We had places to go that afternoon, so only did the ride to Chard Farm that day. Highly recommended! Several days later, we drove through the Gibbston Valley and tasted at Peregrine, and also highly recommend them as well. Since we bought bottles at both wineries, if there was a charge for tasting, it was waived. But I don't think there was a charge - best to check their websites and/or email them to double-check.

From Arrowtown to Gibbston Valley is about an hour cycle, across several pretty bridges and very easy. The wineries don't start until the end of that ride. Chard Farm is across the highway and a bit of an uphill (but hey, I survived, I'm 55, and I hadn't ridden a bike in 10 years!). I think the dedicated bike bath runs along the Kawarau River to a bit past Peregrine Winery.

Here's Arrowtown Bike Hire's map: arrowtownbikehire.co.nz/ArrowtownBikeHireTra…

I think it omits several wineries (Peregrine, for one!), so here's a better more complete map:

queenstownnz.co.nz/content/library/Gibbston_…

We had a wonderful day doing this. Email the bike places and tell them what you'd like to do and they'll come up with a good plan and rate for you, I'm sure.

6. Re: Guy cling the wineries in gibbston valley

deSchenke has given you good advice. Queenstown's historic precinct of Arrowtown is the hub of the new NZ$5M Queenstown Trail. This trail & its extensions offer hundreds of miles of cycling suitable for all abilities

From Arrowtown to Gibbston Valley it is 13 kilometres to the Bungy Bridge. The wineries commence after this point. As explained your options are:

1. Ride both ways

2. Ride as far down Gibbston Valley as your fitness/experience allows [perhaps to Waitiri Creek or Mt Rosa] & pre-arrange a shuttle return to Arrowtown

Recommend www.aroundthebasin.co.nz for hire & shuttles

ENJOY

Washington DC...
reviews: 219
7. Re: Guy cling the wineries in gibbston valley

If you like pinot noir, Bald Hills is a must. I still dream of their wine. http://www.baldhills.co.nz

Christchurch
reviews: 5
8. Re: Guy cling the wineries in gibbston valley

Haha OZRCFLYER love your wee story!

These winery cycle trails sound a blast but how does one get to carry the spoils (purchases)? Saddle bags, back pack or return in the car later?

California
9. Re: Guy cling the wineries in gibbston valley

Bald Hills is no where near Gibbston Valley, I'm afraid. But they are part of a tasting facility on Beach St in central Queenstown.

As far as traveling with the "spoils", we packed up and returned only as far as the halfway point on Chard Farm Rd. Hubby wanted to get a photo from the viewpoint there and that's where the van picked us up. We had a 3-pack each in our saddlebag, and Hubby had to move all his camera gear to the handlebar bag. Having to much weight in the handlebar bag makes the bike difficult to steer. So we wouldn't have wanted to go much further than that with the way things were loaded. You could be outfitted with saddlebags on both sides of your bike, so you'd have plenty of room. We only had one saddlebag each. You really don't notice the extra weight back there. A 3-pack was a tight fit, but it did fit.

Reply to: Guy cling the wineries in gibbston valley
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted