My partner and I (both late 20's) are travelling to New Zealand for the first time from March 12th-31st. Flights are already booked- flying into Auckland (landing approx 6pm) and out of Queenstown (flying out approx 9am). Car is not booked as yet- nor is accomodation. So im keen to move on booking both asap!
Any advice you can provide on the 'draft' itinerary below would be greatly appreciated so we can make this a memorable trip and maximise our time, sight seeing etc...
12th- AUCKLAND (NORTH ISLAND)
14th- COROMANDEL (worth driving via Waitomo Caves to Roturua?)
17th- ROTURUA (via Taupo to Napier)
20th- NELSON (SOUTH ISLAND)
22nd- GREYMOUTH (via Hokitika on way to Lake Wanaka)
23rd- LAKE WANAKA
27th- TE ANAU/MILFORD SOUND
28th- TE ANUA/MILFORD SOUND
1) Car Hire company suggestions for 2 people?
2) Any suggested stops offs in the itinerary above?
3) Any 'Must Do's' or 'Must See's'
4) Should we pre book all Accomodation or just maybe Auckland and Queenstown? Thus providing a bit of flexibility- or is this a bit risky?
5) Is the Bay of Islands a 'must do' once landing in Auckland? We are keen to go there it just 'absorbs' a bit of driving time...?
6) Do we need to pre book the ferry from NI to SI?