We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary help please

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
qld australia
itinerary help please

hi, sorry to ask the same old question but here goes. We are 2 adults and want to spend approx 2 to 2 an a half weeks, over the sept/oct school hols (mid sept to early oct) around our most favourite part of the south island, queenstown. However this time we want to definitely do the glaciers(heli hike if budget permits) and like the 3 day itinerary from real journeys from te anau, being milford sound scenic day cruise, doubtful sound overnight cruise and the te anau glow worm caves. We're not sure if we should fly in via Queenstown and out of Christchurch or Fly into Dunedin and fly out of Christchurch or just simply fly in and out of Queenstown. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Macau
reviews: 204
1. Re: itinerary help please

I think you have answered your own question! If you definitely want to visit the glaciers then into CHC & out of ZQN ( or vv) is the only way to go. Dunedin doesn't enter into it geographically.

Allow 3D/2N or 4D/3N minimum:

The quickest trip with long drives, would be 5 hr Chch to FJG; stay 2 nights; drive 5-6 hr to QTN.

With more time you could spend a night in Hokitika before getting to the glaciers, and another in Wanaka after the glaxiers to shorten that long drive.

qld australia
2. Re: itinerary help please

hi again,

thanks. I thought that since we hadn't done Dunedin that we could spend 2 nights there and then drive onto Te Anau for 2 nights, then do Queenstown then onto the Glaciers and back to Christchurch.

Is this not feasible?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Macau
reviews: 204
3. Re: itinerary help please

OK, that throws a new light. I thought you had booked accommodation in QTN for the whole time. How about doing the full circle ( cheaper on the rental car hire):

Chch to Mt Cook (2 N); Mt Cook to Queenstown(2 N+); to Te Anau (3 N); to Dunedin (2 N +) ; to Wanaka, to Glaciers (2N); to Hokitika; to Chch.

You can see that this only adds up to 14. These would be my recommended MINIMUM stays at each place. Add as many days wherever you like.

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 48
4. Re: itinerary help please

Except go in the opposite direction for the best viewpoints - from Chch head west to Hokitika, Franz, Wanaka, Dunedin, Te Anau, Queenstown, Aoraki/Mt Cook to Chch

qld australia
5. Re: itinerary help please

hi again,

sorry I have confused you. We will be staying in Queenstown for 10 nights, Glaciers 2 nights, Te Anua 1 or 2 nights, depending on whether we do the Doubtful Sound overnight cruise or not, and possibly Dunedin 2 night. We have already done from Qtown to Christchurch via Mt Cook, Lake Tekapo, Hanmer Springs and Akaroa. If you can recommend a driving itinerary that best suits all these places and which way is best, Dunedin to Christchurch or vice versa. Thanks so much, I appreciate all your help.

By the way we explored Wanaka and Arrowtown quite a bit when we were last in Queenstown.

Queenstown, New...
reviews: 22
6. Re: itinerary help please

Fly into QTN. Stay Queenstown. Do the doubtful sound overnight.... is amazing. From Te anau take the southern scenic route through the catlins to Dunedin. 2 Nights in Dunedin...plenty to see there, the albatross coloney, penguins, cadbury, speights, larnach castle! Visit Oamaru (maybe). drive through the historic gold mining/rail trail towns St Bathans, Naseby, Ophir, onto wanaka and up the west to the glaciers (long drive.... maybe break it with a night in Wanaka) then onto Christchurch and fly home.

7. Re: itinerary help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 14, 2014