We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queenstown Weather

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 2
Queenstown Weather

Hi All,

I'm heading to queenstown in early november. How the weather like there at the moment and what do you think the weather will be like during that time of the month? :)

Cheers,

K.

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 48
1. Re: Queenstown Weather

Welcome to the forum K :)

current Queenstown weather www.metservice.com/towns-cities/queenstown

Nov weather - expect either early summer heat or late winter chills or possibly both heat and chills - even both on the same day!

Generally Q'town has bright blue skies even on the coldest days, pack sunblock (not sun screen, but sunblock) as you will be burnt, even on cloudy days.

Sydney, Australia
2. Re: Queenstown Weather

Thanks for the info wanakalakes. Will prepare sunblock :) I will be going with my wife and daughter (22 months old). Hopefully will be fun :)

Planning to take short trips. e.g. drive to arrowtown. Any suggestions for the young one? :) I think Milford sound is too far. We will be at Queesntown for 7 days. We just want a relaxing time :)

Thinking maybe to hire a rental car for 4 days or so.

Will be staying near lake wakatipu at Hilton.

Cheers,

K.

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
3. Re: Queenstown Weather

Sounds like a great plan :)

I agree on skipping Milford this visit, save it for when your daughter is older.

Your daughter will love the luge, and TSS Earnslaw with farm tour is great for all ages. Wander along the waterfront, play on the beach, feed the ducks off the wharf and also see the large trout in the underwater observatory.

If heading to Glenorchy and Paradise ensure you have plenty of sandfly repellent.

At Arrowtown take a picnic, or buy sandwiches drinks etc from the bakery, and head down to the Arrow River. There is a little stream which is great for wee ones to paddle - if feeling lucky you can also pan for gold.

Queenstown's climate is very dry with next to no humidity. Many visitors get a headache as they are dehydrated. Ensure your wee one drinks lots of water (you too) and also take a really goog pediatric skin moisteriser and lip balm as your wee could suffer dry skin.

Enjoy your visit :)

Sydney, Australia
4. Re: Queenstown Weather

Thanks. Am I safe to say that I won't get high 20's or 30'sC weather in Q'Town during november? :)

Will take your advice :)

Can I ask do many shops in queenstown or even arrowtown take american express or Mastercard?

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
5. Re: Queenstown Weather

lol, you will no doubt find Queenstown cold after Sydney. Even on the hottest days the evenings cool considerably - take a warm layer for evening wear.

You might get some days in the early 20s but it won't be early 30s till Jan/Feb.

Everywhere will accept Mastercard, some (smaller places especially) will say no to AE.

NZ is virtually a cashless society - we use credit cards for larger purchases and EFTPOS (debit cards) for all smaller items.

Sydney, Australia
6. Re: Queenstown Weather

Thanks for the info :) I will bring some cash but not too much and an AMEX and Mastercard to be safe :) For a 7 day visit, what do you think is a good itenary for Queenstown and it's surrounding, taking into account we have a 22 month old which is very active :) Also we want to relax not hectic and squeeze everything in. Can our daughter go on the luge? Obviously she is a lap child in it with one of us?

I was thinking:

Queenstown, Arrowtown, TSS, Wanaka, Glenorchy? Anything else or that should be enough. Any kids places that we should go to?

Is Wanaka worth going to?

Cheers,

K.

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
7. Re: Queenstown Weather

Wanaka is fabulous :)

Great for a day trip - head over the Crown Range and you'll be in Wanaka in just 45 minutes. Return via Cromwell, stopping perhaps to enjoy some samples at the many boutique vineyards along the way (a shame your daugher isn't old enough to be designated driver) possibly stop to watch the bungee jumping - always very entertaining.

Sydney, Australia
8. Re: Queenstown Weather

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
9. Re: Queenstown Weather

Kawarau Bridge - if you check the website (Google if needed) there might even be a map :)

Sydney, Australia
10. Re: Queenstown Weather