We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milford Sound?

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
reviews: 17
Milford Sound?

Hi,

I will be in Queenstown for only 3 days in late may (25-28). Is it wise to visit Milford Sound (fly-cruise-fly) or just discover Queenstown and leave Milford Sound for next time? Thanks so much.

Auckland Region...
reviews: 15
1. Re: Milford Sound?

It depends on your interests, but I would say that Milford Sound is very worth it.

Even though it's a long drive, my preference would be for the coach/cruise/fly, as the road into Milford (especially around Homer Tunnel) is stunning.

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 44
2. Re: Milford Sound?

Why not wait and decide once you are in Queenstown? Milford is stunning and yes, if going do take the bus in as the road is the true highlight, then cruise before flying out.

However Queenstown has a whole host of activities to enjoy and you may find you have so many other things to do there is no time for a full day excursion to Milford.

Happy travels :)

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
3. Re: Milford Sound?

The most important factor to consider is the weather. If the weather is clear coach cruise fly Milford Sound. If you are interested in wild natural landscapes Milford Sound is a great place to visit.

Queenstown has many activities but the day tours to Milford Sound give outstanding value. A day trip to Milford costs less than $150 nz and that includes a cruise on the fiords. If you can afford it the flight out of Milford Sound after the road trip in, and the cruise, is a must.

Edited: 10:11 pm, April 20, 2012
Australia
reviews: 17
4. Re: Milford Sound?

Thank so much for your advises. My main concern is the time factor: I heard that day trip to Milford Sound could be delay (read: stuck in MS ) because of the weather therefore couldn't return to QT to catch my flight back home in time. Is it true?

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 44
5. Re: Milford Sound?

Occasionally (once a year?) the road is closed due to a slip, avalanche or snow. But the road is seldom closed for long and the chances of this happening in May are extremely unlikely. if it does happen you can always fly out.

Anyhow, all travellers should have adequate travel insurance to cover them for the unexpected.

6. Re: Milford Sound?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, June 18, 2013