We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip review

Which Invercargill hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
reviews: 146
Trip review

In Invercargill for one of their big events this year, the Oceania Track Cycling Championships. This was literally a short visit with most of my time spent at the velodrome which is a fantastic facility.

Arrive late Sunday afternoon and checked into Tower Lodge, see review. Hit the supermarket for the next days breakfast. Supermarkets were open quite late considering so this was good.

Monday: spent at velodrome but picked up a car from Riverside rentals in the mid afternoon (It had been rainy and I was sick of waiting for taxis or walking) Walked to the car hire via Queens Park and museum, Hayes to see the Indian. Gorgeous walk and pleasant sunny afternoon.

Tuesday: Velodrome for the morning then down to Bluff. Sun shining but blowing dogs off the chain. Late lunch at the Drunken Sailor, food ok service pretty good and very friendly. Oreti beach, just to say I'd been there. Night at velodrome.

Wed: velodrome and then a washing session (ha, the joys) and took GD into see the Indian and a coffee at zookeepers. Great quirky cafe. Dinner, absolutely lovely, at Elegance at 148. (will do a separate review) Then back to the track!

Thursday: home.

Invercargill is an underrated place IMHO, really friendly people and like our time in central Otago, very friendly and helpful people, from the supermarket to the hotel to the guy at the avery .

GD summed it up: it's so nice to see people proud of what they have and be so nice to tourists.

Oh and the Bert Munro, Lots and lots and lots of motor bikes and if you plan to drive thru on the last weekend in november you;d better have your accom booked because by Wed there was almost none to be had, nor any hire cars!

5 replies to this topic
Napier, New Zealand
reviews: 26
1. Re: Trip review

hi There Guru, nice to see you on our forums, thanks for the great JBR, I havent been to Invercargill for years but from what I remember it was always nice. for some reason my family has always called it "Invergiggle", went I was quite young i remember my dad taking me down to Bluff to meet the boats and him buying 2 sacks ( sugar bags) of oysters and all of us sitting out the back at home shelling them all and afterwards my mum spending ages cooking heaps of them for tea, brings back fond memories, thanks for sharing

cheers john

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
2. Re: Trip review

No probs.

i used to vist NZ forums regularly, search back for my old TRs from jan 2009!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
reviews: 120
3. Re: Trip review

Hi GW nice to see that you Aussies left the cups behind after the meet. It is beginning to be habit you guys topping up your cupboards with saucers and leaving the cups to others. LOL.

Glad you had a great time. Like Joker its been a couple of days since I last visited Invergiggle.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
4. Re: Trip review

ha, yeah well for the most part we sent a 'B" team...had to be nice and let you guys get enough points to qualify riders for olympics!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Macau
reviews: 204
5. Re: Trip review

As the Tui ads say "Yeah...right!".

I'm looking forward to a quick visit to Invercargill in January.

Reply to: Trip review
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Invercargill