We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggest a Caravan Park in Wellington for Motorhome?

Which Dunedin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Suggest a Caravan Park in Wellington for Motorhome?

We are spending 2 nights in Wellington after crossing on the ferry, can anyone suggest a nice Caravan Park to stay. We have to pick someone up at the Airport on Day 2 so didn't want to be too far away. The Capital Gateway Motor Inn just looks like a carpark.

Palmerston North
reviews: 1
1. Re: Suggest a Caravan Park in Wellington for Motorhome?

The only true camping ground in the Wellington area is the Top 10 in Lower Hutt. This is a 30 - 45 minute drive to Wellington Airport, depending on traffic and the time of day.

http://www.top10.co.nz/parks/wellington/

Another option is the Wellington Waterfront Park, right in the city. This is a basic camping spot with powered sites and just an ablutions block. Fantastic location and a 20 - 30 minute drive to the airport.

http://www.wwmp.co.nz/home

Hope this helps

Brisbane, Australia
2. Re: Suggest a Caravan Park in Wellington for Motorhome?

I thank you for your suggestions. I have looked at the Wellington Waterfront Park but it seems our Motorhome may be too long. It's a shame they don't have anything closer to all the attractions. Looks like I will have to go with the Capital Gateway Motor Inn for convenience. Thank you.

New Zealand
reviews: 223
3. Re: Suggest a Caravan Park in Wellington for Motorhome?

In the Wellington forum, there is a whole thread about campervan parking. See tripadvisor.com/…33362505

Are you sure about your motorhome being too long? Some pretty big ones seem to park on the waterfront. One possibility mentioned in the above thread is Balaena Bay, which is very convenient for the airport.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
reviews: 120
4. Re: Suggest a Caravan Park in Wellington for Motorhome?

Your campervan must be pretty big not fit into the campervan park downtown. The Capital Gateway Motor Inn park is at the rear of carpark out of site from prying eyes as one has to go past the motel entrance to get to the parking area.

Brisbane, Australia
5. Re: Suggest a Caravan Park in Wellington for Motorhome?

Yes they say the measurements on their website and we are longer by about half a metre. I have emailed them anyhow to enquire. It seems the most central to stay for us. Thanks everyone appreciate your help/advice.

Wellington, New...
reviews: 2
6. Re: Suggest a Caravan Park in Wellington for Motorhome?

Apart from being in a great location, the waterfront park would be an awful place to stay as it is literally just a carpark right next to a very busy road and intersection. For the same price I'd rather stay at Capital Gateway which is more suburban and proably quieter (though it is near the motorway).

Brisbane, Australia
7. Re: Suggest a Caravan Park in Wellington for Motorhome?

How far would that be from the city centre? Is it near buses as I don't really want to take a big Motorhome into town.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
reviews: 7
8. Re: Suggest a Caravan Park in Wellington for Motorhome?

Capital Gateway is about 10km north of the city, adjacent to SH1. There is a bus stop into the city at the bottom on the driveway. Costs $4.50 each way.

Brisbane, Australia
9. Re: Suggest a Caravan Park in Wellington for Motorhome?

Unfortunately the Capital Gateway doesn't have many good reviews for Motorhomes. So you are saying the closest is the Top 10 Park at Mt Hutt? Does anyone know if you are easily able to catch a bus near park into the city?

New Zealand
reviews: 223
10. Re: Suggest a Caravan Park in Wellington for Motorhome?

The Top 10 in Lower Hutt is close to the bus route to Eastbourne, which runs 7 days a week. It could be about 30 minutes into the city, depending on the time of day and whether the bus is direct or goes via Queensgate Mall. Lots of people do this trip as a daily commute.