We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving in NZ

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malibu, California
driving in NZ

We will be leaving for NZ in November. We plan to rent a car in Christchurch and drive the south Island. We would like to find out how from some "right side of the road" drivers how dificult they found the transition of "driving on the left, and how is the trafic on South Island?

Tahnks

Albany, NY
reviews: 6
1. Re: driving in NZ

Hopefully this link will help you. It's pretty easy to get used to.

wikitravel.org/en/Driving_in_New_Zealand

Thunder Bay, Canada
reviews: 168
2. Re: driving in NZ

Hello aktija.

We were last in Oz and NZ in 03 and it was my first experience driving on the left side of the road. The main "reminder" I gave myself was to always keep the yellow (centre) line on my RIGHT shoulder - it seemed to do the trick. NZ's roads are very twisted and anything but horizontal in lots of places, especially in parts of the south island but take your time and you will be fine. The other thing I should mention is round-abouts - they are an INCREDIBLE invention and I truly wish we had them in Canada. They took a bit of getting used to, especially around driving etiquette, but once I understood them I loved them. No more stopping with the attendant loss of time and waste of gas!

We'll be in NZ again this year from Oct 29 to Nov 19 - look for some crazy canucks!

Late Day Traveller