We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM's and their charges and Bank of New Zealand (BNZ)

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 30
ATM's and their charges and Bank of New Zealand (BNZ)

Beware of Bank of New Zealand ATM charges for foreign credit/debit cards! I was charged $14.00 fee by BNZ on the south island (using my Wizard mastercard). There is no warning on the screen that you will be charged a fee. When we saw that exhorbitant charge, my hubby went across the street to ANZ and withdrew cash with NO CHARGES using his wizard card.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
reviews: 120
1. Re: ATM's and their charges and Bank of New Zealand (BNZ)

Who Noddy, lets back up a bit here.All ATMs have a charge with the exception of ATM's which are owned by the parent bank of the card holder.

WIzard Mastercards would appear to not be a BNZ issued card but would have an arrangement with the ANZ bank.

Surely the onus is upon you the user to ascertain which are the user friendly ATM's.

What you dont advise is did you withdraw cash from your credit card account and was the charge put on at the point of issue or did it appear on your account. If your card is not a BNZ issued card or WIzard not have a relationship with BNZ, why should the BNZ carry out an international currency transaction for free. You also dont advise how much you withdrew. IF the amount was $800 a 1.5% international currency exchange fee is not uncommon with banks which would lead you to a $14 charge.

We have often on this forum advised overseas visitors to check what are the best ATMs to use.

NZ DE's have taken the trouble to have a FAQ pertaining to ATM's listed on the NZ forum page for foreign visitors. Did you check them before coming to NZ

Edited: 9:25 pm, March 14, 2010
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 142
2. Re: ATM's and their charges and Bank of New Zealand (BNZ)

$14 is a fairly standard charge anywhere in the world for an ATM withdrawl if you don't use the right machine. It's really important that you check with your bank before you leave home about which ATM's have which charges, or no charge. Even with NZ "other bank" ATM they charge fees in some machines.

Edited: 3:48 am, March 15, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
3. Re: ATM's and their charges and Bank of New Zealand (BNZ)

Actually, NZMike, I think $14 is a pretty outrageous charge. I have never been charged that amount in Australia or in Europe.

But I don't understand the OP. First it says: "There is no warning on the screen that you will be charged a fee", but then it goes on: "When we saw that exhorbitant charge, my hubby went across the street to ANZ..." Sorry, but this does not add up!

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 30
4. Re: ATM's and their charges and Bank of New Zealand (BNZ)

Firstly i don't appreciate being called names i.e. noddy. That is inappropriate content.

Secondly, I travel to n.z. yearly - from australia -and have been doing so for 20 years.

Wizard Mastercard doesn't charge a forign transaction fee for overseas cash advances or purchases which is why I use it when travelling overseas - and I have used it in England, Europe, Canada and USA. Australian ATM's advise the fee the bank will charge before you complete a transaction. The customer then has the choice to accept the fee or cancel the transaction.

In the case of BNZ at Alexandra - the fee charged was shown on the receipt issued AFTER the transaction was completed. Also very small towns on the S.I. have few or nil bank choices or ATM's.

No i did not check NZ DE's FAQ - probably because i didn't know it existed.

N.Z. banks should show more transparency re their fees and charges at ATM's just like the banks in Australia have been forced to disclose. Customers shouldn't have to rely on this site or NZDE's.

It's pretty difficult to find info on user friendly ATM's in foreign countries once you are actually there.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
reviews: 7
5. Re: ATM's and their charges and Bank of New Zealand (BNZ)

I agree that we need to better control our Australian-owned banks.

New Zealand
reviews: 1
6. Re: ATM's and their charges and Bank of New Zealand (BNZ)

Yes.I find it amazing too, that all our Australian owned banks, do not carry across into their NZ operations, the transparency that is enforced upon them in their Australian operations.Incredible.

Edited: 9:17 pm, March 15, 2010
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
reviews: 120
7. Re: ATM's and their charges and Bank of New Zealand (BNZ)

Silver budgie, having been charged $14 by the BNZ what made you go over to the ANZ money machine and run the risk of another 14 dollars. Didnt you get enough money out the first time?

adelaide hills
8. Re: ATM's and their charges and Bank of New Zealand (BNZ)

Hi Silver Budgie, we travelled to NZ in Dec 2009 and also used Wizard Mastercard (cashed up/in credit before we left) due to no international transaction fees. When we first arrived at Auckland Int airport we also got stung the first time at BNZ ATM with similar fees which were displayed but we had no other option at the time. We soon found out that we could use Westpac ATMs with no fees and paid no other fees in the rest of our 4 week holiday as there were plenty of Westpac ATMs around. We also checked the exchange rates used and these were v close to wholesale rates. Cheers

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 48
9. Re: ATM's and their charges and Bank of New Zealand (BNZ)

"...very small towns on the S.I. have few or nil bank choices or ATM's..."

I think you would be hard pressed to find any town in NZ without at least one ATM.

And if you aren't able to locate one then just ask Wises maps. Go to the amenities tab and it will show you the exact location of all ATMs in any town.

http://www.wises.co.nz/

10. Re: ATM's and their charges and Bank of New Zealand (BNZ)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:39 pm, March 16, 2010