We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Auckland to Wellington

Which Wellington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
reviews: 1
Driving from Auckland to Wellington

Hi can anyone advice if I should stay in Rotorua for one night while driving from Auckland to Wellington?

9 replies to this topic
Cairns
1. Re: Driving from Auckland to Wellington

Yes it would be advisable to do this stopover.

Singapore
2. Re: Driving from Auckland to Wellington

Thank you so much!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Macau
reviews: 157
3. Re: Driving from Auckland to Wellington

Akl to Wlg is not an easy drive in one day, esp not for a first time visitor. If your aim is to get there quickly, it is much cheaper to fly! If your aim is to see the countryside then sticking to SH1 and stopping overnight in Taupo is another good choice, with a better split between the 2 days. I find Rotorua to WLG is still a long day.

Singapore
4. Re: Driving from Auckland to Wellington

Thank you for your information. I thought by driving I can see the scenary, therefore I thought is good for me to drive from Auckland to Rotorau and to stay there. Appreciate your great help.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
reviews: 7
5. Re: Driving from Auckland to Wellington

Cross your fingers for clear skies - the views of the Central Plateau volcanoes are pretty impressive. The best views are between Waiouru and Turangi, two towns you will pass on the way.

Orewa, New Zealand
reviews: 36
6. Re: Driving from Auckland to Wellington

Traveling straight to Taupo and staying there would be a better option, more evenly splits the drive.

7. Re: Driving from Auckland to Wellington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, November 08, 2013

8. Re: Driving from Auckland to Wellington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, November 08, 2013

Eastleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
reviews: 94
9. Re: Driving from Auckland to Wellington

I think you need to start a new thread on the Baguio forum tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g298445-i8545-Ba…

The readers of the Wellington forum wont know much about the Philippines!

Reply to: Driving from Auckland to Wellington
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted