We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on things to see in 10 days around Wellington

Which Wellington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
reviews: 1
Suggestions on things to see in 10 days around Wellington

My husband and I plan to spend our wedding aniversary in and around Wellington during May. We love wine and food, scenic drives and short walks are considering visiting Hawkes Bay and Marlborough, whilst we base ourselves around Wellington.

We would appreciate some advice on what not to miss and potential itineraries, as well as recommended B&B like places to stay.

Wellington, New...
reviews: 39
1. Re: Suggestions on things to see in 10 days around Wellington

Good choice! You will find plenty to do in and around the city and a little further afield too. If you intend going to Hawkes Bay as you say, you will need to stay the night there as it is a fair drive from Wellington. The Wairarapa is a grape growing area too although maybe in May you could find some of the vineyards are closed or on shorter opening hours. Marlborough would be a good day trip on the ferry. Wellington has a huge range of short walks and most of them are very scenic. There are good little pamphlets available at the I-Site or any of the local libraries. You could also drive up to the Kapiti Coast for bush or beach walks.

Another suggestion is to take the ferry across to Eastbourne, stopping at Somes/Matiu Island on the way for another great walk with stunning views of the harbour and back to Wellington City.

I don't think you will be short on things to do and see here but arm yourselves with as much info as you can first to make the most of it. Happy travels.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Macau
reviews: 167
2. Re: Suggestions on things to see in 10 days around Wellington

I would recommend at least 2 overnight trips away from Wellington or you will find the travelling too much. Hawkes Bay is nearly a full day's driving, esp if you stop at Mt Bruce or Martinborough/Greytown enroute.

A night in Picton, Blenheim or out in Queen Charlotte Sound would also be a good idea rather than 6-7 hours on the ferry in one day!!

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 44
3. Re: Suggestions on things to see in 10 days around Wellington

A lovely inner-city Wellington B&B - Lambton Heights http://www.lambtonheights.co.nz/

A cosy self contained cottage in Martinborough - Amore Cottage http://www.martinborough.com/amore/index.html

a bit of luxury in the Marlborough Sounds, Picton - Bay of Many Coves http://www.bayofmanycoves.co.nz/

wellington
reviews: 108
4. Re: Suggestions on things to see in 10 days around Wellington

Lucky you! I am sure you will have a wonderful time. As below, I recommend you aim to do a couple of longer trips outside Wellington. Hire a car, go over the Rimutakas to Martinborough or Greytown (about an hour and a half) and spend the night there. There are good sleeping and eating options in both places and both have some nice shops. Pick out a couple of wineries to go and visit (but, as below, make sure they are open before you go!). There is also a mushroom farm and other attractions in that area. Have a look on bookabach and holidayhomes - you may find a self-catering cottage as economical as a b and b with the added bonus of more space and flexibility. Carry on through the Wairarapa up to Napier, stopping in at Mt Bruce wildlife sanctuary if you would like to see kiwis, takahe and (my favourite) the kokako. There is a cafe there. For Napier accommodation, see TA - there are a couple of highly recommended B and Bs in the city centre. Book early as Napier is a popular destination. As well as a walk along Napier's promenade, you can do the Art Deco trail and visit plenty of vineyards, also a little brewery/cidery and a chocolate factory. There are tours available to avoid drinking and driving! I will leave Marlborough to others with more experience of this area.

In Wellington another B and B to investigate is GourmetStay in Frederick Street. Mark, the owner, hails from Napier so no doubt could give you tips, and Frederick Street is quiet but within easy walking distance of everything in central Wellington. There are many wonderful short walks in and around Wellington, see …govt.nz/recreation/walks-and-walkways. Wellington is small and easily walkable, with a decent bus and train and ferry service.

Melbourne
5. Re: Suggestions on things to see in 10 days around Wellington

Hi to everyone who has provided such great advice. We really appreciate the great info you have provided. A couple of questions:

- what is the I-site for the walking pamphlets around Wellington?

- how many days do you think we should spend in Wellington to best appreciate its sites?

We are thinking about spending about 3-5 days travelling to and around Martinborough and onto Hawkes Bay.- thanks for the great advice about what to see and do on this journey. - particularly the wildlife sanctuary - it looks like a certainty for the trip!~

We are wondering if we will also have time to do Marlborough and Queen Charlotte Sound as it seems that you could easily spend at least 3-5 days there at least to actually enjoy it. Instead we were perhaps thinking of staying on the Nth Island and coming back another day to do the north part ot the Sth?

Kuala Lumpur...
reviews: 14
6. Re: Suggestions on things to see in 10 days around Wellington

im surprised no one recommended mount victoria, a local brought us there. you have a nice view of wellington day or night.

New Zealand
reviews: 200
7. Re: Suggestions on things to see in 10 days around Wellington

With your interests, I think you could easily spend 5 days visiting Martinborough and the Hawkes Bay, with the remainder of the time in Wellington. It is possible to do a 1 day tour to the Marlborough vineyards, but I think you'd find it a bit rushed. You'd probably enjoy something like the Queen Charlotte Track too, so spending a bit more time at a later date could be a good idea.

For Wellington itself, there are maps and guides here

wellingtonnz.com/visitor-information/essenti…

and various walks here

wellingtonnz.com/sights-activities/results…

Wellington, New...
reviews: 54
8. Re: Suggestions on things to see in 10 days around Wellington

Hi tjb25

The isite is in civic square- it is a central space with a fern ball and directly opposite the library. They are very helpful!

I think you're wise to stick to the hawkes bay, the wairarapa and around Wellington. You'd do well with three or four days here. The Marlborough sounds would make a different, special trip.

I wholeheartedly agree with a day trip to matiu/sommes island! It's lovely out there.

In may it might be getting a little cooler so schedule frequent stops in beautiful coffee shops! Good ones include the hangar on Dixon street, Astoria on lamb ton quay, Joe's garage on Tory street and the Mojo chain. Highly biased of course!

Have a beautiful time here

Melbourne
9. Re: Suggestions on things to see in 10 days around Wellington

Thanks again to everyone fop\r their great suggestions - got the tickets booked, now just filling in the itinerary.

Looking forward to Kiwi hospitality, scenic views and lots of quality wine and food....Nth Island NZ here we come..

10. Re: Suggestions on things to see in 10 days around Wellington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 13, 2014