We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cricket

Which Wellington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Harrow, United...
reviews: 175
Cricket

Sitting in cold, cold London watching the first overs of the 2nd Test, I have to say that there is nowhere else in the world that I would rather be at this moment than the beautiful Basin Reserve in the wonderful city of Wellington.

Harrow, United...
11. Re: Cricket

Bean - I prefer to think of it as a wonderfully tense end to five great days of test cricket. As far as Stuart is concerned I think this report from August 2010 might have been his finest test batting display:

"Stuart Broad was delighted to finally score a Test hundred as England staged a remarkable recovery on day two of the final Test against Pakistan at Lord's. Broad, who joined Jonathan Trott with his side on 102-7, hit an unbeaten 125 to record the highest score ever made by an England number nine".

And, by the way, we was robbed in Wellington. But, all in all, a very enjoyable series in which New Zealand really did themselves proud. D

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Macau
reviews: 204
12. Re: Cricket

I work with a "cricket tragic" (English) here in China and our American colleagues cannot see the excitement in a game that takes 5 days and ends in a draw!!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
reviews: 120
13. Re: Cricket

Dave the response of the English team after securing the draw, I think indicated how important it was. I would have loved to read the English Press had they lost. But what other sport can one play over 5 days and come away with a no result.

Oz
reviews: 31
14. Re: Cricket

Hi Dave,

I'm sitting in hot, hot, and humid northern NSW looking forward to out August ski trip to the South Island. We have finally shamed other family members into looking after my wife's mother! For the first time in years we will have two whole weeks away from carer duties :-)

Now to cricket. The less said the better about the Australian Team you poms will make mincemeat out of them in the Ashes. Sigh...................

Cheers,

Whangarei, Northland
Destination Expert
for Auckland, Whangarei
reviews: 39
15. Re: Cricket

The last day at Eden Park was one of the most exciting and nerve-wracking days of cricket you will ever see ... NZ had their chances and were only an inch away, but eventually our bowling and fielding just wasn't quite good enough.... Prior, Bell & Broad (& Monty!!) were amazing, and it definitely meant a lot to England as it means they are still ranked 2nd and not 3rd, which means a lot in kudos & $$$.

I loved watching every minute of it though !!!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
reviews: 120
16. Re: Cricket

I just hope that when the POMS get back home all their chickens turn into Ostriches and kick their dunnies down. If nothing else it has generated interest in the forthcoming tour of England by the NZ Cricket team that wasn't there prior (excuse the pun) to the weekend.

Harrow, United...
17. Re: Cricket

Guys - our last day performance warranted a leader in the Daily Telegraph which might be of interest:

"On Monday night, while most of England slept, an important rescue operation was being carried out 11,000 miles away.Those who drifted off with the shipping forecast expected to wake to humiliating news. But with the morning pips came word of a small miracle. People who do not love cricket may be mystified that, after 13 days of action over three weeks, a 0-0 result could be a cause for cheering.The reason is that, having been outplayed in Auckland by New Zealand, England's cricketers rediscovered their character and saved themselves from defeat in the match and the series. Talk of Dunkirk spirit might seem misplaced, given that the same expeditionary force won in India this winter and remains second in the international rankings. But a rescue was needed and it augurs well for the summer's Ashes battle. The Australians, meanwhile, lost 4-0 in India".

But before the Aussies we have two more tests against NZ and, as someone said, this series can only heighten the interest and I will be at Lord's. D

18. Re: Cricket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 30, 2014