We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rotorua to Wellington

Which Wellington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Petaling Jaya...
Rotorua to Wellington

Hi , My family will be driving from Rotorua to Wellington via Lake Taupo. Maybe we will stop for 1 night somewhere in between. Can you suggest the best route? I read your previous forum but the route is through Napier. What about if I go to Turangi then to Wanganui and then to Wellington? Is that route more scenic? If I do so, can you suggest where I should stop for the night or is it possible to drive straight to Wellington? Thanks for you help. Much appreciated.

Ong from Malaysia.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
reviews: 56
1. Re: Rotorua to Wellington

Wanganui would be the logical place to stay in that case, but be aware that while very scenic going through the Paraparas (the hills north of Wanganui), the road is very twisty and, while perfectly driveable, not in very good repair. Take it slowly and you'll be fine - and you get to see the mountains (which is somewhere else you could stop, by taking a small detour and going to National Park or Ohakune.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Macau
reviews: 204
2. Re: Rotorua to Wellington

It is possible to drive straight through in a day- i have done it several times, but the route is so scenic it seems a pity to rush it if you can find the time. rather than Wamganui,, which is a bit out of the way, I'd recommend you go via Tongariro National Park. There is accommodation within the National Park, deendingonyour budget and the time of year ( obviously harder to get during the ski season) and also at Ohakune. If you like the idea of a self

-contained cottage, I recommend Wood Pigeon lodge at Raurimu - very cute and an easy day's drive from Wellingotn.

Rotorua, New Zealand
reviews: 21
3. Re: Rotorua to Wellington

Its along way but it can be done. But I think you be better to drive Halfway & Continue next day. Maybe go up as far as Te Kuiti and visit The Waitomo Caves. Wellworth seeing. Theres other things to see along the way depending on which way you go.

Auckland Region...
reviews: 82
4. Re: Rotorua to Wellington

You can also stay in New Plymouth. It seems like a little detour but worth seeing Taranaki Mountain. Whanganui has nothing special and there's nothing to do there really.

Another option is Masterton or Palmerston North. There are nice country views in that area and if you decide to do that make sure to visit Castle Point Lighthouse.

We usually drive to from Auckland to Welli non-stop without any problems, but if you want to explore the country you should definitely stop somewhere in between.

sydney
reviews: 60
5. Re: Rotorua to Wellington

A good idea to stop a night along the way, gives you more time to do tourist sightseeing between Rotorua and Taupo vs sitting in the car driving past everything.

Suggest you look at having a night in either Turangi or Ohakune and do a visit up to the mountains.

Also suggest a stop at the museum at Waiouru as you head south from Taupo.

Broken Hill...
reviews: 20
6. Re: Rotorua to Wellington

We have booked accomodation and driverr/van to drive from Auckland to Rotorua visiting waitiomo gloworm caves along the way. Then two nights in Rotorua fully booked with exciting experiences. We then plan to drive from Rotorua to Wellington in one day via lake Taupo. We would really like to fit in a visit to Hobbit holes between Rotorua and Wellington. Is it on the way and do we have time for a short visit?

Can anyone help? We have already booked accomodation so cant change our nights in each area.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Macau
reviews: 204
7. Re: Rotorua to Wellington

Bundy - often best to start your own thread as this one is a month old and the DEs will think they have alreayd answered it.

Hobbiton is near Matamata which is NORTH of Rotorua, and normally visited either between AKL & Rotorua, instead of Waitomo Caves, but can be done as a half day trip from Rotorua.

Broken Hill...
reviews: 20
8. Re: Rotorua to Wellington

Many thianks I think you hve answered my question. Do you think its possible to visit Maitimo after Waitimo caves then on to Rotorua.

Rotorua, New Zealand
9. Re: Rotorua to Wellington

You would be better to visit Matamata ( Where Hobbit is) come to Rotorua for few days as we have lots to see & do here. Then you could go to The Waitomo Caves as its about 3 hours drive & continue on To New Plymouth on Hywy 3. Nice motel called Carrington Motel in Vogeltown on Carrington Road 5 minutes walk from Pukerkura Park. Hope you enjoy your stay in New Zealand.

Rotorua, New Zealand
10. Re: Rotorua to Wellington

Stop at Turangi for night & then contiune onto Wanganui via National Park Turn onto Hywy 47 at Turangi & then you will come to Hywy 4 Stay on this hywy all the way to Wanganui via Raetihi.