We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internal Flights

Which Wellington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
reviews: 19
Internal Flights

Hi

I am going to New Zealand for one month and will be primarily based in Wellington. I am wanting to go to both Auckland and Christchurch to do some sightseeing and wish to book some cheap flights.

I have checked out Air New Zealand on the internet and their prices are reasonable. Just wondering if these were as cheap as they get or whether there are any low costs airlines in New Zealand.

I'm from the UK and we have several budget airlines just wondering whether New Zealand has the same so that I could check these out.

Sam

London, United...
reviews: 14
1. Re: Internal Flights

Hi Samjoy123 - Our airline industry prices are expensive - there is a virtual monopoly by www.qantas.co.nz and www.airnewzealand.co.nz but the only other real contender is http://www.flypacificblue.com/ whom I believe you will know better as Virgin. Dont expect anything too cheap - if you get a $200 return trip between the destinations you mentioned you should be happy (there are specials every now and then however).

TIP: Air New Zealand has a website called www.grabaseat.co.nz but you have to be in quick - limited seats.

Auckland, New...
reviews: 8
2. Re: Internal Flights

I believe Grabaseat flights www.grabaseat.co.nz go online at midnight our time but some do show up later in the day. If you are still in the UK you will have a good chance of getting these flights. The flights are generally only available for a week and not always the dates you want.

Leeds, United...
reviews: 19
3. Re: Internal Flights

Hi thanks for your replies.

I have looked at Grab a seat and no deals to where I am going yet but I will keep looking.

Just another question - On the Air New Zealand website will the fares keep going up nearer the date? This happens with air fares in the UK on some airlines.

I am looking to book over the next two weeks and this will effect my decision as to what to do.

Thanks again

Sam x

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Macau
reviews: 204
4. Re: Internal Flights

I got a seat from WLG to Chch for $59 on Air NZ which I think is a good deal. Qantas is often cheaper. You are lucky those are the main-trunk flights with the most competitive prices.

New Zealand
reviews: 2
5. Re: Internal Flights

I often fly between Wellington and Auckland. I have always flown Qantas as they are as cheap, if not cheaper than Air NZ. Though grabaseat will probably have some chepaer fares.

My advice would be to check the airline sites regularly for specials --once every 3 to 5 days when you are wanting a guide and daily when you know your dates.

Qantas often has $59 to $79 one way specials but you have to get your timing right. They often come out in two week blocks. My friend once booked so far in advance the specials were not yet released paid $50 more for the same flight.

Though in saying that their Wgtn - Auck route is $69 each way and is valid till Nov '08. It is just a case of first in first served.

As time goes on the prices will rise. I personally find the Qantas site the easiest to search and get information.

Qantas is also a partner with BA, so if you collect air points all Qantas flight offer points

London, United...
reviews: 14
6. Re: Internal Flights

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/536641/1557701

New Zealand
reviews: 9
7. Re: Internal Flights

krusada, are you sure you want to live in the UK! You need to get out abit and enjoy your new country of residence, stop pineing for NZ :) You're reading all the news hot off the press.

The website shown above is a press release about AirNZ dropping domestic flight prices as from Feb23rd, in some cases by up to 30%. I can now fly Tauranga to Christchurch for $109 (used to be anything up to $360) woohoo!

Surrey England
reviews: 61
8. Re: Internal Flights

Hi all, Are these reductions for a limited period only? Also,does anyone know if the baggage allowance is the same on Qantas as on AirNZ for domestic routes?

New Zealand
reviews: 9
9. Re: Internal Flights

No it's a "permanent" move downwards- good news eh? Not sure on the luggage weight but I think both are 20kgs

Surrey England
reviews: 61
10. Re: Internal Flights

Yeah, good news indeed.