We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day in Wellington ... what to do?

Which Wellington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Palo Alto
reviews: 8
1 day in Wellington ... what to do?

My wife and I will be in Wellington for 1 day (cruise line stop) and are wondering what is recommended to do there. We have the option of going on one of the cruise-line tours, but would really like to know what you think is worth seeing, and why?

Thanks

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
reviews: 33
1. Re: 1 day in Wellington ... what to do?

Te Papa, New Zealand's national museum has free entrance and such a range of exhibits that it can take hours to view. It allows a good insight into the what, where, who and how of New Zealand. The Te Papa building itself caused a lot of controversy when it was built and there are those that abhor it and those that love the architecture. You will see it from your ship. Exhibits are displayed well. From there a walk around the waterfront and into Lambton Quay where you will find the Cable car terminal. Catch this for a ride up a hill to the Botanic Gardens and a good view of Wellington and the harbour.

There are several gardens to view such as the Karori Reserve and Otari.

It depends , of course, on the destinations of the bus trips and your own interests. If you are interested in vintage cars there is a top class car museum on the Kapiti Coast, Southwards Motor Museum and the journey up the coast on a nice day provides great scenery.

Hope it is not a windy day!

Queenstown, New...
2. Re: 1 day in Wellington ... what to do?

have a read of this thread, it may help.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255115-i911-k1130…

Palo Alto
3. Re: 1 day in Wellington ... what to do?

Thanks to both of you for your advice. It convinces me to forget about the guided tours and just spend the day enjoying Te Papa and the city.

wellington
reviews: 28
4. Re: 1 day in Wellington ... what to do?

One more thing to do if the weather is good is to go for a trip up the cable car. It leaves from Lambton Quay which is within walking distance from where the liners come in. It goes up the hill to the University and on to the botanical gardens and you can get lovely views. Apart from that head to a waterfront restaurant/bar - the Heineken Hotel on Cable St is great and just a couple of minutes walk from Te Papa or a cafe up nearby Cuba Street- there are loads of them as Wellington has almost the most cafes per capita in the world!

Wellington, New...
reviews: 13
5. Re: 1 day in Wellington ... what to do?

Hi there, Just another vote for Te Papa. I was in there this morning with my children (we try to go in once each school holidays) and I was reminded, as always, what a fantastic place it is and a real credit to New Zealand. I always see so many fascinated tourists wandering around - definately should be top of your list. Enjoy your cruise - I love the summer season as I get to watch the ships come and go from my kitchen window!

6. Re: 1 day in Wellington ... what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 pm, September 04, 2009