We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire from Port for 1 day in Tauranga-visiting Hobbiton

Which Tauranga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
reviews: 8
Car Hire from Port for 1 day in Tauranga-visiting Hobbiton

Hi there. I have been searching the cruise and Tauranga forums and am still not clear on which car hire is easily accessible from the actual Port so we can literally disembark and get in the car?

Does anyone know if Princess cruises disemarkation is quick please? (docks at 7am)

Has anyone hired a car to do HOBBITON on their own recently please and how did time frames go? Many thanks.

20 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
11. Re: Car Hire from Port for 1 day in Tauranga-visiting Hobbiton

No problem. Would be glad to give an update afterward.

When I say hubby is fast and confident, I don't mean dangerous and speeding. We are very aware of the narrow, twisty, steep roads in NZ. We are just very efficient and energetic during our travels and often do what we want in much shorter time than others estimate. Having independently explored over 55 countries in the past 15 yrs together with a lot of driving, we have an idea of what we can handle and what we like to see. And having a GPS, paved roads and english speaking natives are a bonus :)

Alice Springs...
reviews: 66
12. Re: Car Hire from Port for 1 day in Tauranga-visiting Hobbiton

Have been with Princess several times. Once the all clear is given it is a matter of be ready to go and walk off at your pace, normally quite quick, not like some others we have been on.

Also looking at a car as you are, some interesting comments. 10th Feb. for us.

reviews: 41
13. Re: Car Hire from Port for 1 day in Tauranga-visiting Hobbiton

Great timing for this thread, I was researching this for a cruise for 2015, our port time is 10am-8pm.

Perth, Australia
14. Re: Car Hire from Port for 1 day in Tauranga-visiting Hobbiton

Princess Cruise Melbourne to New Zealand Jan 23, 2014

TAURANGA- we docked at beautiful Mount Maunganui, with locals there to assist & a Tourist info tent set up as you disembark. Lovely seaside village with boutiques and both surf and bay to choose from. If reasonably fit, do the popular climb to Mount Maunganui - allow an hour.

Several car hire options to choose from here, but Rite Price rentals had good write-ups, and caters well for cruise customers. Unlike some that were based at the airport, it was only a 3 minute drive to their office. I think we struck an unusual case, as they not only didn't have our pre paid car available, but they didn't tell us this until we noticed the smaller car they gave us the keys to- then the woman seemed surprised we wanted the difference refunded!

10 hours in Port - we had done all the Rotorua sights previously, so drove 30 mins south to pre booked Kaituna Jetboats (allow an hour all up for this thrilling 12.5km ride up and back the fern-lined Kaituna River).

We then drove to Hobbiton (Lots of wonderful feedback on TA separately) We pre booked tickets online, but needn't have. Only waited 20 mins for our tour, then allow 2 hours once the tour starts! NB: The tour guide gives lots of behind the scenes info so stay close, and don't panic about having photos in front of the first Hobbit-hole you see, as there are MANY more along the way.. Including Bilbo's up the top under the huge (amazingly fake) tree, and Sam's near the party-lawn-towards the Green Dragon Inn). We had plenty of time to look around pretty Taurang when we got back.

long beach, CA
reviews: 60
15. Re: Car Hire from Port for 1 day in Tauranga-visiting Hobbiton

We are on the Celebrity Solstice arriving in Tauranga 6 January at 10a and departing at 21:00p. We are interested in renting a car or hiring a taxi for a trip to Hobbiton and then want a quick trip to the Geo thermal area. Does anyone have any updates since this posting for renting cars, getting tix ahead of time for Hobbiton, logistics re doing both the same day, etc. Alternatively are there taxi's available that would alternativley to the same trip?

Perth, Australia
16. Re: Car Hire from Port for 1 day in Tauranga-visiting Hobbiton

Don't misunderstand my posting-I would still recommend Rite Price Rentals becaue they are closest to the Port & picked us up promptly etc...& the communication afterwards was great-just be a little diligent at the counter-maybe email to re-confirm you are getting what you asked for before you depart.

A taxi would cost a small fortune! It's approx an hour to Hobbiton, then another hour to Rotorua (I think):-just put it into google maps distance caluclator.

You have a late departure so should be fine..Think we allowed 4 hours at Hobbiton-We pre booked our time slot online as didn't want to miss out with all the ships in Port (& they are flexible with this as we got there early & went on an earlier bus)

Happy cruising.

reviews: 41
17. Re: Car Hire from Port for 1 day in Tauranga-visiting Hobbiton

So, Rite Price picks you up at the port and returns you?

long beach, CA
18. Re: Car Hire from Port for 1 day in Tauranga-visiting Hobbiton

Barbara are you on the same cruise as us (celebrity Solstice leaving Auckland 4 January? If so are you interested in sharing (we are 2 adults)?

Perth, Western...
reviews: 1
19. Re: Car Hire from Port for 1 day in Tauranga-visiting Hobbiton

Yes- just email them from website if unsure. Here is a youtube of actual pick up! (If link doesn't work, type "Rite Price Tauranga YouTube" into your search bar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9me3Zg7I5l8

long beach, CA
20. Re: Car Hire from Port for 1 day in Tauranga-visiting Hobbiton

thanks! the link works. Put this request out on Trip Advisor and Cruise Critic to see if anyon is interested in sharing.

Reply to: Car Hire from Port for 1 day in Tauranga-visiting Hobbiton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted