We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tongariro Crossing - how strenuous?

Which Taupo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
wales
reviews: 3
Tongariro Crossing - how strenuous?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could advise on how strenuous the Tongariro Crossing is? I'm reasonably fit but would training be required for this and what equipment/clothing would you recommend?

Thanks

America
1. Re: Tongariro Crossing - how strenuous?

If you're reasonably fit, that's good enough. The Crossing is more a long-long trudge nowadays than a super-steep challenge. A few years ago DoC put a long gradual staircase replacing the once-formidable "Devils Staircase" section. You'll have the company of alot of folks on your Crossing who are probably alot less fit than you. Just my guess, of course.

About the weather and clothing...you just sort of never know, even in summer, whether you're going to get hot and sunny or frigid, clouded-over and hyper-windy. You don't need equipment per se, just clothing layers.

Hope that helps, cheers, scott

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 44
2. Re: Tongariro Crossing - how strenuous?

this will help - …govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

no matter how lovely a day it is as you set off, don't expect the weather to last - it can turn cold and misty in under an hour so do take notice of above list - and don't wear cotton.

Safe travels :)

reviews: 39
3. Re: Tongariro Crossing - how strenuous?

Hi Tracey, I own a lodge near near the crossing. A lot of our guests do the crossing. You mention " you are reasonably fit". That will be fine. Some people take private guides. That is the way to go if you want to beat the crowds. If the weather is good I am sure you will have a great time. Enjoy, Jason

4. Re: Tongariro Crossing - how strenuous?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, December 16, 2013