We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taupo or Rotorua?

Which Taupo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 3
Taupo or Rotorua?

I am looking to spend 2 nights in the area. My plans include going to Wai-o-tapu for an afternoon, going to hike to Huka Falls and in Tongaririo Park. There is also the thought of spending a half day in Waitomo to do the Glow Worms...not sure if it is worth it. I can also see Glow Worms on my South Island leg of my trip.

After heading out of Taupo, I plan to spend a night in the Napier area...

Do you think its best to spend 2 nights in Taupo or Rotorua?

Auckland, New...
reviews: 41
1. Re: Taupo or Rotorua?

Hi there

It is really a case of personal preference

Taupo and the surrounding area is just superb – great views over the lake towards the Tongariro National Park, good places to eat and stay and lots to do and see. In my view it is a much more relaxing place than Rotorua and again in my view the scenery is more impressive.

Wai-o-tapu is slightly closer to Rotorua, Huka Falls is on the edge of Taupo and the Tongariro National Park is at the South end of Lake Taupo. Taupo would therefore be a better place to base yourself for the National Park. Rotorua is only an hour’s drive from Taupo so you could easily go there for a day.

On the way over to Taupo to Napier take a moment to take a break at the Waipunga Falls Lookout. It is clearly sign posted and well worth a brief stop

New Zealand
reviews: 8
2. Re: Taupo or Rotorua?

With what you have planned Taupo would be the most central and an easy drive in all directions to visit your list of places.

If you can fit in Waitomo then visit the glow worms there.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 3
3. Re: Taupo or Rotorua?

Many thanks!

4. Re: Taupo or Rotorua?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, October 15, 2009