We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hangi and Concert in Rotorua?

Which Rotorua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
reviews: 1
Best Hangi and Concert in Rotorua?

We are planning a trip to Rotorua at the end of March this year. It will me my husband and I along with our 2 boys (6yrs & 8 yrs). We would really enjoy the traditional hangi. Some have recommended the Tamaki Maori Village. I would like any other suggestions that are out there.

Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 10
11. Re: Best Hangi and Concert in Rotorua?

I'd started writing up an even longer response about Mitai (we were there on March 14th), but then i figured it might be better suited for a trip report or something.

In any case, we enjoyed our night at Mitai, although it was really rainy so the bush walk wasn't as enjoyable as it would have been in dry weather and the extra "Beauty of the Night" tour had to be canceled. Our driver/MC/guide, John, was great. He kept us all entertained, and did a good job playing botanical interpreter on the bush walk - yes, we did see glow worms! Not sure what Tamaki's site is like, but i think the natural Fairy Springs locations is neat, with the little spring running through it and the pond with the fish.

I enjoyed the concert because you could see the personalities of the performers and that they were having fun and really seemed to enjoy their jobs. THere was a lot of humor injected into the show, which suited me. Also very informative, with much explanation of the tattoos, words, weapons, dances. The dinner was good, and you get to see what it looks like after they've pulled it from the ground (my BF wanted to see what the cooking pit looked like, but we didn't get to), but hangi dinners don't consist of exotic fare - you're still eating lamb, chicken, potatoes, and sweet potatoes wherever you go, so the value of the night is in the show, the bushwalk, and the people who are guiding you through the experience (including the performers).

Without being able to compare to Tamaki, I would imagine that you and your boys would enjoy Mitai. Hope that helps!

-MoTown

Washington State...
reviews: 10
12. Re: Best Hangi and Concert in Rotorua?

CDM Visiter: Hello, fellow USA visitor! My husband and I did the Maitai Show Hangi at Rainbow Springs a couple of week ago: Phone: (64) 7 343 9133, www.mitai.co.nz – We did the extra deal called Beauty at Night with cost of 96NZpp - Pick up at hotel was 5:45pm and drop off 10:45pm. The show was all about dancing and expression and learning about the Maori culture. In their early culture they did not have a written language so communication was through facial movements, tattooed drawings on legs-face-arms, dancing, yelling and stomping. The yelling is loud and almost appears as if they are angry so if you are annoyed by loudness, I suggest a seat near the back! I liked the informative aspect of it very much but I have to admit I don't find myself extremely cultural. The Maori showed their war dances and love dances in this show and even did the sticking out of the tongue part which scared me at times. (Please note, this is a serious part of their tradition and you are asked not to laugh at any time but I guarantee your kids will want to as I know I did!) After the show we enjoyed the hangi dinner (which wasn’t really my deal as it is sort of buffet style ) but my husband loved the food and ate until his stomach was plenty full. There is a lot of food and it as very tradtional which is what this cultural show is all about. Since you have kids, you may want to skip the Beauty By Night afterwards because you have already done a daylight walk to watch the ceremony arrival by water, then sat through a show and then eaten a big dinner and they may get bored... I think that depends on what they like so hard for me to judge. Beauty By Night consists of walking around the park with a flashlight learning about the trees, the fish and the Kiwis. At one point you even see some glowworms (if you are going to Waitomo, that will be better for gloworms.) The kid that was in our group was so enthralled with the huge trout in the ponds that I do think he loved it. They do raise Kiwis there as part of the Kiwi Encounter. You will walk through it at the end of the tour and will see a couple of them. They are very skittish and there is a no talking and no camera policy as you slowly walk through. The show is worth it for the cultural aspect so totally a must do in Rotorua. It was well done, just keep in mind that is a group thing so you are around a lot of people. I have to tell you, Rotorua was one of my very favorite places on the North Island. There is a lot to do there. Enjoy! Kat

Melbourne,Aus
reviews: 3
13. Re: Best Hangi and Concert in Rotorua?

We also did Mitai recently (March 17) with the Kiwi encounter. The night was entertaining and educational.You won't be leaving hungry.

I agree the night might be too long with young children if you do the Beatuy by Night in the adjacent Rainbow Springs.

Buenos Aires...
reviews: 7
14. Re: Best Hangi and Concert in Rotorua?

Hi CDM!!!!!! Very good reviews from all TA posters. I just came back from NZ and Australia today. I went to the Mitai show on March 13th and really liked the show. The food is buffet, so don't expect much of it, but it was nice to see how they cooked it. Expect a tent full of people (there were 22 different nations in mine!) The show was good and entertaining. I loved the explanation about the tattoos and the haka (Maori war dance), and also the humour with which they performed the show, so it was not boring. However, I would have skipped the Beauty By Night part had I known it would be so boring (and I am not a child, 32, and my husband 37). I really found it slow-paced, not at all interesting, and freezing cold (although I was carrying a polar blanket they have us to keep warm). I strongly suggest that you stick to the hangi dinner part (you will still see the canoe with the warriors coming along the river).

15. Re: Best Hangi and Concert in Rotorua?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, August 28, 2009