We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2.5 Days in Rotorua!

Which Rotorua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 17
2.5 Days in Rotorua!

Hi Tripadvisor members!

My family will be travelling to Rotorua in Mid-May and we hope to fully utilise our stay at this wonderful city!

16 May

From Auckland to Rotorua, we plan to take the State Highway 27 with a short visit to Hobbiton Movie set along the way. Is there any other attractions located along this route that I should take note of?

We plan to enjoy our first night at the hot springs but I'm not really sure if any are open at night. Any guidance would be appreciated!

17 May

Agrodome Farm tour in the morning, followed by a visit to Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland. What are the things we can do at night?

18 May

Depart for Waitomo Caves in the early afternoon and catch the 2pm Spellbound tour. Leave for Auckland after that.

Is this a workable/reasonable itinerary that is not too hectic? Your help and advice will be deeply appreciated. Thanks!

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
reviews: 29
1. Re: 2.5 Days in Rotorua!

You would need to check with Hobbiton whether you can visit as 'The Hobbit' will probably be in production and the set near Matamata may well be closed to the public.

The Polynesian Spa is open until 11 p.m. at night.

You would be best to do Waiotapu in the morning and the Agrodome in the afternoon then you can see the Lady Knox Geyser errupt at 10.15a.m.. Be at Waiotapu by 10 a.m.

I would suggest attending a Maori Cultural Evening at night. www.mitai.co.nz or www.maoriculture.com

Also look at www.rotoruanz.com to see what else to do and see when in Rotorua

Windsor, Ontario
reviews: 24
2. Re: 2.5 Days in Rotorua!

Hobbiton is open until further notice. Which thrills me as we will be in Rotorua next week.

Singapore, Singapore
3. Re: 2.5 Days in Rotorua!

Hi Valgee,

Thanks for your guide! Now I've a better idea on what to check out when I'm in Rotorua!

Rockhampton...
reviews: 38
4. Re: 2.5 Days in Rotorua!

My husband and son did the tour at Hobbiton and LOVED it !! am sure you will enjoy it. We went to the Mitai Maori culture show, which includes a hangi dinner and optional trip nextdoor to the wildlife park to see the kiwi (birds). It was a great night out.

If you have time on the last morning before you go to Waitomo, you might like to go the the gondola and luge attraction - my kids had an absolute ball there and the views are great looking over the city.

Enjoy your Spellbound tour - we did this one and loved it - truly magical !!

The tour goes for three hours and it takes a good couple of hours plus to drive to NZ - so you might not get there till well into the evening?

Windsor, Ontario
reviews: 24
5. Re: 2.5 Days in Rotorua!

We just returned from New Zealand. If you are a LOR fan in any way, do not miss Hobbton. You are in for a real treat.

We also went to the Mita hangi dinner, culture show and kiwi walk and highly recommend it.

Singapore, Singapore
6. Re: 2.5 Days in Rotorua!

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to the Spellbound and Hobbiton tours (especially the Hobbiton one!). Hopefully, the hobbiton movie set is not closed for filming!

7. Re: 2.5 Days in Rotorua!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, October 24, 2012