We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise

Which Rotorua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
atlanta
reviews: 8
Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise

We want to do an overnight cruise on Doubtful Sound. The usual options are the Navigator with Real Journeys which is a larger ship taking up to 70 passengers or a smaller ship with either Fiordland Expeditions or Southern Secret which take passengers.

My preference is the smaller boat. However; our schedule has us spending 1 night Auckland; 3 nights Coromandel; 3 nights Rotorua; 2 nights Tongariro Alpine Crossing; 2 nights Dunedin; 1 night in Te Anau and then the cruise -- the date is Dec 24.

The smaller ships are not going out Dec 24; 25; 26 so they are not an option unless we cut a day and arrive a day earlier.

I would think the day we would cut would be in Rotorua -- 1 full day there instead of 2. That day would be added later in the trip -- probably around Abel Tasman; Nelson; Queen Charlotte area -- We have 4 full days there and this would make it 5.

Has anyone been on both the Navigator and the smaller ships? Should we just do the Navigator as it does go that day and leave the schedule as is or should we change it?

I wonder about the noise and busyness of a larger ship and think about Doubtful Sound be a quieter experience. However, I have read reviews on both and everyone seems to love whichever trip they took. So perhaps I am worrying needlessly.

atlanta
reviews: 8
1. Re: Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise

Yes I know not in Rotorua -- did not know I was in this forum! Anyway do I need to repost or can it be answered from here?

Iowa
reviews: 20
2. Re: Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise

I can't compare for you, but we were on the RJ DS overnight cruise last week. It's the highlight of our trip. The Navigator isn't "that" large. It was able to pull up under a waterfall. Another time the captain designated a few moments of total silence. Beautiful! We were lucky in that it rained on the first day -- unbelievable number of waterfalls -- and it was bright and sunny the second. We saw the scenery we missed the prior day. I think your enjoyment will be affected more by the weather than by the size of the boat. It's beautiful even in the rain. By the way, the food was wonderful and plentiful. Busyness and noisiness? Not particularly. The boat is just large enough to find a relatively quiet spot if you want it.

Enjoy your trip. For us it was great!

3. Re: Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:21 am, February 20, 2012