We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitianga Day

Which Paihia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
7 posts
Whitianga Day

We will be in Paihia on Feb. 6th and would like to know what happens on "Whitianga Day"?

Level Contributor
1,467 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: Whitianga Day

it's actually called : Waitangi Day and is a public holiday throughtout New Zealand. Different towns have different celebrations, most of them involving Maori blessings and cultural performances.

I will let a Paihia TA experts advise what kind of celebrations to expect at Paihia for Waitangi Day.

Vancouver, Canada
7 posts
2. Re: Whitianga Day

Oops, sorry, my apologies for confusing the two names. I am wondering if traffic and crowds will be such that we may want to just stay put for the day and do our traveling and sightseeing another day.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
64 posts
50 reviews
3. Re: Whitianga Day

Definitely stay put for the day! The Waitangi treaty grounds (just up the road from Paihia -walk!) will be awash with activity including Wakas and Maori cultural displays - both for and against the treaty. If you've booked already -great timing!

Vancouver, Canada
7 posts
4. Re: Whitianga Day

Thanks so much! This is very helpful in planning our itinerary.

5. Re: Whitianga Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, December 14, 2013