We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fishing "land based" in Paihia

Which Paihia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
fishing "land based" in Paihia

Looking for a spot to fish in and around Paihia in mid October.

Charter boat advise as well.

Melbourne, Australia
1. Re: fishing "land based" in Paihia

Going to Piahia in mid October.

Looking to fish around Piahia.

Looking for land based fishing spots

Is it a good time of the year to charter a boat to catch Snapper or Kingfish?

Kerikeri, New...
reviews: 38
2. Re: fishing "land based" in Paihia

Hi frimmy1; No-one seems to have given you a reply, so I'll do my best.

Many of the best Charters actually depart from Whangaroa, north of the Bay, rather than Paihia (which is now very touristy). There are many charter boats, and Kingfish seems to be very successful most of the year round. Be prepared for a VERY early start.

Don't feel that you need to stay in Paihia. Whangarao, Mangonui or even Kerikeri can be better options location wise. Sorry but I can't give you any advice on land based fishing. Cheers, hope this helps.

Melbourne, Australia
3. Re: fishing "land based" in Paihia

thanks for the information

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
reviews: 102
4. Re: fishing "land based" in Paihia

I am not a fisherman so it is not something I take a great deal of interest in but many locals can be found fishing off the beach just south of the Waitangi bridge. When in passing I have asked how they are doing I get a typical mixed response, some do good some are rubbish. Its more the relaxation aspect I think as opposed to putting food on the table.

New Zealand
reviews: 3
5. Re: fishing "land based" in Paihia

Hi Frimmy1,

You have a couple of options for land based fishing within walking distance from Paihia. Head over the Waitangi bridge and up the road to the Golf course, walk down to the rocks as soon as you get to the golf course and you have some nice guts and rocky out crops you can fish. It's very rocky so I don't use sinkers, just a nice heavy bait to drift down. Good spot for Kahawai, trevally and the odd Snapper.

Or catch the ferry over to Russell and walk over to long beach, hang a left up the beach and you will get to Waitata Bay. Great spot for Snapper.

In mid October the Snapper will be starting to run , so would really recommend getting on a charter boat out to the middle ground to fish. Early in the season the fish are still out deep, so you will have more luck out on a boat than from the rocks. Captain Bucko, Spot X Fishing, and Blue Sea Charters all do good trips and can be booked short notice.

Pop into the local dive/fishing shop Paihia Dive when you get to Paihia for good local knowledge and advice on fishing spots.

Cheers,

Craig

Edited: 3:36 am, September 03, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
6. Re: fishing "land based" in Paihia

thank you very much

7. Re: fishing "land based" in Paihia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, February 01, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Paihia