We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bay of Islands Tour from Auckland in 1 day

Which Paihia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
Bay of Islands Tour from Auckland in 1 day

Hi,

We will be staying in Auckland just after Christmas for 3 days. One of the days we will do a tour/trip to Bay of Islands.

My question is should we do one of the organised tours from Auckland which includes the treaty grounds, morning tea, cruise to hole in the rock and back to Auckland (12-13 hour trip)

OR

Catch the coach one way, to Paihia and do our own thing there? then catch tour/coach back in the late afternoon to Auckland, this way we have more free time and can do/see what we want to around there?

Does anyone know roughly how much the cruises are from Paihia out and around the islands? or canoes out to them? etc

Thanks

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
8,648 posts
106 reviews
1. Re: Bay of Islands Tour from Auckland in 1 day

Hi Megz,

A 2 day visit to the Bay of Islands will be so much more relaxing - especially after Christmas! While the 1 day return coach tour from Auckland will provide you with a sampler of the Bay's sights and attractions, taking 2 days to cover the area will allow for a far more leisurely pace and enable you to experience the available options under less pressure for time.

The most popular trip is to the Hole in the Rock/Cape Brett at $95 per adult and $47.50 per child - dolphincruises.co.nz/cruises/…

I recommend that you book accommodation well ahead of Christmas, and also your return coach travel.

Cheers

Edited: 3:04 am, July 01, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
2. Re: Bay of Islands Tour from Auckland in 1 day

Thanks for your feedback :)

Can i ask have you done both Bay of Islands tour and the Coromandel Peninsula? Some people have told me Coromandel

is just as nice and a shorter day than doing Bay of Islands in a day trip?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
3. Re: Bay of Islands Tour from Auckland in 1 day

PS- thats if we do decide to do a day trip to either one from Auckland.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
9,579 posts
142 reviews
4. Re: Bay of Islands Tour from Auckland in 1 day

If you are going to do a one day trip to the BOI using public transport then I would recommend that you do an organised tour. One day return from Auckland is not really enough to see the BOI but on an organised trip you will guranteed to meeting transport and getting the maximum experience for minimum time. An overnight in the Bay will more than double the experience

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
8,648 posts
106 reviews
5. Re: Bay of Islands Tour from Auckland in 1 day

Although the drive to the Bay of Islands will take longer than reaching the east coast of the Coromandel there is more to see and explore within the BOI area.

Firstly much of NZ's early European settlement history took place in the Bay of Islands so there are a number of interesting sites to visit. But also there are a number of eco-tours and wildlife attractions available including Kiwi birds in their natural habitat, and the pod of dolphins that frequent the area - www.bay-of-islands.nz.com/attractions.aspx.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
6. Re: Bay of Islands Tour from Auckland in 1 day

Thanks so much :)

Bay of Islands it is ...

Can't wait to visit NZ

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
64 posts
48 reviews
7. Re: Bay of Islands Tour from Auckland in 1 day

We have so many visitors this way that are disapointed they didn't say longer. Maybe you should consider a shorter distance north of Auckland - Matakana and surrounds? The round trip from Auck 7 hours plus touring time. In one day? Better to come back when you have more time :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
8. Re: Bay of Islands Tour from Auckland in 1 day

Awesome thanks , ill look into Matakana tours also.

I'm open to anything at the moment, i know it would be a massive 12-13 hour day but sometimes the organized tours are the easiest way when travelling..

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
9,579 posts
142 reviews
9. Re: Bay of Islands Tour from Auckland in 1 day

Megz16 you are on holiday go for it. You can always rest when you go back to work.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
10. Re: Bay of Islands Tour from Auckland in 1 day

haha thats true, i want to see and do as much as we can whilst over there...

I love to travel so i'm planning way ahead of time lol..

Thanks everyone for your help. The Bay of Islands is a MUST, looks absolutely beautiful.

Should i include for the tour:

the Hole in the Rock cruise OR

tour of Russel town ?

this link will show you both tours running:

http://www.greatsights.co.nz/bay-of-islands/