We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in Paihia / BOI

Which Paihia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Shore City...
reviews: 23
A week in Paihia / BOI

we have decided to spend our wedding anniversary in the Bay Of Islands and will be staying a week - probably in Paihia end of November 2012.

Can anyone recommend some things for us to do, a good motel and a good restaurant?

We will be driving our own car from Auckland

Our very rough plan at this stage to catch the ferry to Russell and back one day , look around the Paihia shops one day, maybe do the boat trip to the hole in the rock one day and maybe drive to Kerikeri one day... if there are any other 'must see' things let us know.

Also we want to book a good (fairly modern) motel that is reasonably quiet, but in a good location with cooking facilities and if it has a swimming pool / spa pool that would be nice – any recommendations?

and a nice restaurant where we can dine for our anniversary night would be good too

Thanks in advance!

Whangarei, Northland
Destination Expert
for Auckland, Whangarei
reviews: 34
1. Re: A week in Paihia / BOI

As far as Paihia goes, my suggestions for accommodation in the motel/apartment category would probably be Edgewater Palms, SeaSpray & Waterfront suites.....

If it were me, I would probably lean more towards staying in Russell, I just personally think that it is a nicer location to stay - and would recommend Russell Cottages.

All the boat trips offer pick ups from Russell aswell as Paihia, and the passenger ferry between the 2 places is very frequent and quick...

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands
reviews: 101
2. Re: A week in Paihia / BOI

I also suggest romantic Russell over Paihia. It's smaller. quieter and most historic. Lovely place to stroll around, and its waterfront is very pretty. A must see is Pompallier house. The views from Flagstaff hill are awesome. Long Beach is lovely.

You can pop across to Paihia on the passenger ferry for alternative dining. Otherwise in Russell the Gables and the Duke of Marlborough restaurants serve good food.

Russell Cottages with its heated pool will be a good location for accommodation.

Enjoy your anniversary!

nz
reviews: 21
3. Re: A week in Paihia / BOI

I totally agree with the others that Russell is a quieter and more characterful spot to base yourselves. Paihia can get very hectic and can be a bit of a party town at night in the season - I stayed at the Waterfront Apartments once for $250 a night and had no sleep till after 3am when the nightclub next door finally turned off the music! The restaurants are a bit hit and miss too.

Russell Cottages are really lovely - interior decor is first class, and the units have gas fires which add a nice ambience - hopefully not needed in November! There is a pool, but it is quite exposed to the view of all - surrounded by cottages - and a bbq area adjoining. They are charging about $155 for a one bedroom cottage in November currently.

Triton Suites are another option - they too are very stylish and have great spa baths suites available. Prices start from $90 for a studio and up to $155 for a one bedroom suite with spa bath. No pool, but nice sundeck.

Both options are close to the centre of Russell and can be walked easily.

There are a number of restaurants - try The Gables or The Duke of Marlborough Hotel. The nicest thing about dining in Russell is you get the last of the sun as it goes down over Paihia - and super sunsets from the waterfront dining strip. There is a lot of history to soak up here too, plus walks - make sure you go over to Long Beach on the seaward side.

For a day out head over on the car ferry and then head up to the fishing village of Mangonui - more history, shops and cute cafes, and a pub right on the water. Kerikeri is another nearby town which you could easily spend a day exploring - cafes, historic sites, maori village, a plethora of galleries and much more.

Enjoy your trip!

Auckland, New...
reviews: 27
4. Re: A week in Paihia / BOI

I would suggest you visit Cape Reinga, there is a nice view of the famous 90 mile beach on the way. Are you into sand boarding?

5. Re: A week in Paihia / BOI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:45 pm, June 30, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Paihia