We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire

Which Paihia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 17
Car Hire

We will be picking up a hire car in Auckland (city or north shore) and after 2 weeks touring, dropping it off in the Bay of Islands (preferably Paihia). There don’t appear to be any agencies in Paihia who offer one way from Auckland and for Auckland based rentals hefty one way or pick up charges from Paihia apply. Returning the car to Kerikeri and getting a bus/taxi back to Paihia seems an option. Your view (and car hire company recommendations) would be appreciated. Thank you.

Whangarei, Northland
Destination Expert
for Auckland, Whangarei
reviews: 29
1. Re: Car Hire

Hi there

Sorry for the delay in a response to your post.

Essentially there are very few (if any) rental car companies that operate from paihia.

Kerikeri is the main hub for the bay of Islands in terms of rental cars, as the airport for the Bay of Islands is in Kerikeri.

So you could easily rent a car from Avis or Hertz from Auckland, and drop off in Kerikeri.

Kerikeri is a great town to stay in, I would personally prefer it in a lot of ways to Paihia, so don't know if there is any specific reason you wanted to end up in Paihia - maybe you could let us know a bit more about your plans once you are in the bay of islands and I could give you some more advice.

Also, just as another possibility, there is a company called 'Go Birdz' which has rental locations in Auckland and Kerikeri, but will also arrange to pick up/drop off at Paihia locations; they rent more budget vehicles than Avis or Hertz, so they may suit your needs.

I have never dealt with this company, so can't give any personal recommendation - just know that they exist....

http://www.gobirdz.co.nz/

London, United...
reviews: 17
2. Re: Car Hire

Thanks for your expert information and opinion.

Reading
reviews: 12
3. Re: Car Hire

I would recommend kerikeritaxis.co.nz without hesitation to get between Paihia and Kerikeri. (Crossed lines meant we couldn't collect hire car from the airport and we had to get into Paihia and back to Kereikeri next day.) We had a Holden Cruse from Avis which was pretty good in most respects - apart from making sure you didn't brain yourself on the low roof when getting in - but to the limited extent we did price comparisons there seemed to be little in it.

If you are driving around Northland I wouldn't compromise on engine power as it's very hilly and bendy and easy to lose momentum uphill.

Edited: 8:50 am, April 23, 2012
Reading
reviews: 12
4. Re: Car Hire

And I have just received a speeding ticket in the post for doing 61 in a 50 limit near Kaitaia. Eighty dollars. I've paid up online, fair cop, but presumably if you don't they'll pull you up on entry next time?

5. Re: Car Hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, June 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Paihia