We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paihia to Waitomo routing

Which Paihia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
kcmo
reviews: 4
Paihia to Waitomo routing

We will finish a cruise in Paihia around 3-4 pm and head south towards Waitomo Caves. Where is a good place to stop en route? Also what is the best route to take? Thanks!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
reviews: 204
1. Re: Paihia to Waitomo routing

How will you get to Paihia? It makes sense to go north via one route (east or west coast) and return via the other!! Depending on the time of year, ie when it gets dark, & assuming you don't want to go back into Auckland, Orewa might be a nice place to stop (under 3 hr).

kcmo
reviews: 4
2. Re: Paihia to Waitomo routing

We will get to Paihia via the Kauri Forest on the west side. Looks like it will be getting dark (sunset)around 8 or a little before. I think we should avoid Auckland and just go somewhere smaller, easier to natigate. Thanks!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
reviews: 100
3. Re: Paihia to Waitomo routing

I suggest that Whangarei a hour and a bit drive from Paihia might work well. I'm considering daylight hours remaining after you disembark, also how tired you may be after an ?overnight cruise, and how far you need to travel the following day to reach Waitomo.

Whangarei city has a big range of accommodation, and some very good dining. Are you keen on a boutique B&B, a luxury lodge, s/c motel, or a hotel with adjoining restaurant?

20 minutes south of Whangarei city is Ruakaka Beach and Waipu Cove with motel accommodation, and small cafes in their villages.

Orewa is approximately 2 hours drive away from Whangarei city. I suggest that you remain on SH1 to take you south across Auckland city. Both the Northern and Southern motorway systems are currently in very good condition. I use the toll route that detours around Orewa to save time on my journeys. If you take the Free Route, the views from the lookout stops above Wenderholm and Orewa Beach are stupendous..

Using the AA travel guide to calculate times and distance, the trip between Whangarei and Waitomo will take 5 hours, 15 minutes with stops included. As I said, a stay at Ruakaka or Waipu (or Waipu Cove) may be a bonus for you next day with a long journey in mind.

www.aatravel.co.nz/main/td-calculator.php.

4. Re: Paihia to Waitomo routing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, February 15, 2013