We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which tour would you recommend (if any)?

Which Napier hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Palo Alto
reviews: 8
Which tour would you recommend (if any)?

My wife and I will be spending 1 day in Napier on a cruise in early February, and we are trying to decide if we should simply enjoy wandering through the city or take one of the tours offered by the cruise line. When we looked at the description of the tours they didn't really grab us, but perhaps that's just because we don't know enough about Napier. I'd really appreciate your comments/opinions on any of the tours listed below. If you think it would be better to just spend the day wandering through the city, where would you recommend?

(A) Trip to Summerll Sheep Station, Cape Kidnappers (for gannet wathcing), brief view of art deco district.

(B) Clifton Station (farm visit), Hawke's Bay, Tuki Tuki Valley, Te Mata Peak, Strawberry Patch.

(C) Te Mata Peak, Hastings (Pernel Orchard), Silky Oaks chocolates, brief view of art deco district.

(D) Art Deco tour: National Tobacco bldg, Marewa, Art Deco Trust Building -- walking tour.

Thanks!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
reviews: 120
1. Re: Which tour would you recommend (if any)?

Go out to Cape Kidnappers to view the gannets, it is one of lifes true pleasures.

New Zealand
reviews: 9
2. Re: Which tour would you recommend (if any)?

Benbimi, if you're wanting to see a bit more of the country and are keen nature viewers take option A. Option B would be OK too (there is some beautiful countryside around Te Mata Peak and the TukiTuki river area (you'll want to stop at the wineries- I wonder whether they'll let you) I'm not sure about the Strawberry patch though, there are nicer places to visit!

Give option C a miss but D would be well worth it if you're into art deco and architecture.

Napier is a lovely city and it's only a 15 minute walk along the seafront to Marine Parade and the city proper. You could spend all day just walking along the parade and enjoying the various gardens, buildings, aquarium, hot pools. The info centre is here too. There are dozens of art deco buildings in and around the city and you can easily do a walking tour of the various buildings. Have a read of my inside page for more ideas.

Another option if it's wineries you might be interested in, is take a taxi out to the Mission Vineyard or Church Road Winery in Taradale (15 mins away) for lunch and tastings.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255104-c2684/New-Zea…

Palo Alto
3. Re: Which tour would you recommend (if any)?

Thanks for the advice!

Sounds like the best combination might be for me to go to Cape Kidnappers first and then to visit the art deco district. If I decide to bypass the guided tour, is there an easy way to get to Cape Kidnappers (from the wharf)? Taxi? Bus? Local tour?

Napier
reviews: 16
4. Re: Which tour would you recommend (if any)?

If you want to make your own arrangements:

There are two Gannet Safari Tours www.gannetsafaris.com which go over Summerlee Station, one at 9.30am and the other at 1.30pm. They will pick up from the I-site (Visitors Centre) which is about a quarter hour walk from the Port. (This will be the tour in Option 1)

My suggestion is to go to the I-site in the morning for the 10am guided Art Deco walking tour which finishes at approximately 11.30am and then go on the Gannet Safari tour in the afternoon.

The other way to visit the gannets is Gannet Beach Adventures www.gannets.com but this is tide dependent and not so easy to plan.

The other popular activity is wine tours and I recommend Greg from Grape Escape www.grapeescape.net.nz

I am a Napier B&B operator who gives this kind of advice frequently.

Enjoy your visit.

Palo Alto
5. Re: Which tour would you recommend (if any)?

Thanks for the great advice!

Benbimi

6. Re: Which tour would you recommend (if any)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:28 am, September 05, 2009