We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Cape road trip

Which Gisborne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland
reviews: 5
East Cape road trip

with rellies from England, one of whom has a bad back. As we live in Auckland, I thought of us flying Auck/Gisb, collecting a car rental and taking ? days to drive round to Whakatane where we will get a flight to Auckland. Does this sound feasible and any must see recommendations - thanx

New Zealand
reviews: 8
1. Re: East Cape road trip

I'm not sure if you've done your sums yet but I would have thought the one way car hire(Gisborne to Whakatane) and two one way flights for everyone would have been cost prohibitive. Maybe you could hire a car and drive from Auckland and then fly the rellie with the bad back to Gisborne and collect them from there and then send them back from Tauranga(a cheaper flight) plus the coast road from Whakatane to Tauranga is very scenic.

You would need at least two full days(3 would be better) to drive from Gisborne to Whakatane. And while there's plenty to see on the drive it's more of a road trip than a must do this or that trip; beautiful rugged coastal views and Maori and seaside settlements.

2. Re: East Cape road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 03, 2011