We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spencer On Byron

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southern United...
reviews: 41
Spencer On Byron

Hello there,

My travel consultant has recommended this establishment for our 3 night stay prior to flying to the Cooks.

Could you please tell me if this is a good choice . My husband, myself and 15 year old son will be there.

Thanks

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 45
1. Re: Spencer On Byron

This really depends on whether you want to stay in the middle of Auckland or not. The Spencer on Byron, whilst being a really good hotel, is at Takapuna, which is some way out of central Auckland, on the North shore beach area. You can access Auckland by either the motorway or ferry, but this does take some time. The views from the upper floors are really fantastic, but the area itself is quite ordinary. We stayed here one night and then in Auckland, at the Heritage, prior to going south to Rotorua.

If you want to visit the Viaduct Harbour area and central Auckland then it is better to choose a city hotel.

We made use of the free bus which travels around the city centre many times.

New Zealand
reviews: 9
2. Re: Spencer On Byron

Personally I'd recommend staying in central Auckland, it's much easier to access buses, train, ferry, restaurants, shopping, walking along the water front, etc, etc especially for 3 days. You'll be able to blob out once you get to the Cooks- have I asked before? Are you going to visit Aitutaki while in the Cooks?

Auckland, New...
reviews: 3
3. Re: Spencer On Byron

Given you are only in Auckland for three nights, stay in the city. It is much easier to get around - especially to and from the airport.

I reccommend:

The Hyatt Regency Auckland - the Residence wing rooms are terrific with large balconies and some great views. The Residence Suites are fantastic with full kitchen facilities. Very reasonable rates for a 5* too I feel.

Also check out the newly refurbished Stamford Plaza Auckland. T+L rated it the best business hotel in Auckland and I think it is a fantastic hotel. Good location and it has nice restaurants. You can get some good deals through their website too.

Auckland, New...
reviews: 3
4. Re: Spencer On Byron

Oh, and for things to do...

1. Hop over to Devonport on the ferry. It's a nice little harbourside suburb with some great food. It is only 15-20min ferry ride so you could pop over for lunch and get some great views of the city on the way back. Alternatively, take a day trip to Waiheke Island which is around 45mins ferry ride from the city. It really is beautiful out there.

2. Go up Mt Eden - it is a great view of the city from here.

3. If you like shopping, High Street is good, otherwise you could pop over to Newmarket for shopping on Broadway.

4. Parnell and Ponsonby have some nice restaurants. Can be pricey, but generally I have found they are better than what the city offers.

Southern United...
reviews: 41
5. Re: Spencer On Byron

Thank you all for your comments much appreciate your help.

6. Re: Spencer On Byron

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, August 17, 2009