We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I reach the Tongariro crossing from Taupo?

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 5
How do I reach the Tongariro crossing from Taupo?

We would really like to tackle this hike? Is it possible to drive to the national park from Taupo? How long is the drive? Are there any group tours which commence from the national park? If so, what time do they depart?

How long does the hike take? I noticed one tour company advises that you start at 7am! Why!!!!??? This is too early in my opinion.

We will be making the hike on December 15th.

Looking forward to your replies.

Mark

New Zealand
1. Re: How do I reach the Tongariro crossing from Taupo?

It would probably be a 1.5 to 2 hour drive. The shuttle buses leave at 7 am to get you back to Taupo by 5 pm. The tramp (hike) is a long one and the last thing you will feel like is a drive back when hot and tired. At least you can go to sleep on the bus.

Saint Cloud...
reviews: 62
2. Re: How do I reach the Tongariro crossing from Taupo?

I stayed in the village of National Park before and after the crossing. From my backpackers, I took a shuttle to the trailhead and was picked up at the end...whether you drive from Taupo or stay in National Park village, you'll probably want to arrange a shuttle because the trail isn't a loop, and the two ends are quite far from each other roads-wise.

From the village, the shuttle also left early (7 or 7:30). Also way too early in my opinion! But it's nice to get to uphill done before midday...the track is very exposed.

Doing the Crossing is so worth it! Have fun!

Taupo
reviews: 1
3. Re: How do I reach the Tongariro crossing from Taupo?

The trek takes 6-7 hours depending on your fitness. Three bus companies depart taupo around 7am. You can book these buses

at you accommodation the night before departure. Thats a good option as these companies keep hostels etc up to date with the latest weather. Tongariro Expeditions is a good transport company, they have tramping boots, jackets etc on board their coach. They are good to go with if you like to travel with alot of people. Ive found the Tongariro Hotbus is a great bus company. They have a smaller

vehicle and concentrate more on smaller groups and individuals. price is the same as Tongariro Expeditions and commentary onboard the vehicle is fantastic. Local maori operator with a wealth

of knowledge on the area. Great Value.

taupo
reviews: 2
4. Re: How do I reach the Tongariro crossing from Taupo?

Its a good idea to stay in Taupo and get the bus down to National Park The buses will pick you up from what ever accommodation you are staying at, even the B&Bs. You don't need to book until the night before for a pick up. I use Alpine Scenic Tours. www.alpinescenictours.com . It is an early start. Thats because its a long tramp over mountains and takes 7-8 hours. There are shorter tramps if you feel the day is to long. Depends on fitness.

Take food and water with you.

5. Re: How do I reach the Tongariro crossing from Taupo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, August 20, 2009