We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover Time

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kolhapur, India
Layover Time

Hi there,

My flight departs from New Plymouth (New Zealand) on 0650 hrs & reaches to Auckland airport by 0735 hrs.

My next connecting international flight leaving to Hongkong is on 0855 hrs.

So my question is this a enough layover time?

sydney
reviews: 60
1. Re: Layover Time

Are you flying AirNZ on a through ticket? ie New Plymouth - Auckland - HKK

If so, your luggage will be checked through to HKK and you will receive your boarding pass at New Plymouth check-in therefore you only need to worry about getting yourself from domestic terminal to International terminal - a short 10min walk, then proceed directly upstairs to departure immigration.

Personally I wouldn't have such a short timeframe between flights. I prefer not to have the stress of the 'what if' situations such as late leaving New Plymouth. As the general rule for International check-in is 2 hours, I prefer to have minimum 2 hours, preferable 3 hours, between flights.

Guess it all depends on how much of a high risk taker you are or how good your blood pressure pills are!!!

New Zealand
reviews: 223
2. Re: Layover Time

If you are on a through ticket from New Plymouth to Hong Kong, you will need to check in at New Plymouth an hour before departure, due to connecting with an international flight. The time is possible - I've done similar from Wellington a couple of times.

new zealand
reviews: 311
3. Re: Layover Time

I do think it is a tight time frame. It is recommended you allow 1.5 hours to go through security and immigration procedures. At busy times it has taken us that. However, during quieter times it is a lot quicker. You are on a flight to an Asian port and I have found from experience they are often slower processing people through.

do not attempt that short turnaround if you are not booked through on domestic and international e.g. air new zeland all the way. If you are not flying on Air NZ or alliance airline you will need to check in at the international airport 2 hours before.

Do remember it is a 10 Minute walk or bus transfer from the domestic to international airport.

4. Re: Layover Time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 23, 2014