We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NZ in July with 21 year olds

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
NZ in July with 21 year olds

Hello,

I will be travelling to Auckland and Wellington, for 4 nights each, with my 21 year old son and daughter in July. We will be staying in central downtown hotels. Suggestions appreciated on how to best spend our time. We enjoy great scenery and wildlife, but we are "city folk" who also enjoy shopping and good restaurants. I do not plan to rent a car, so would depend on public transportation or car service for side trips. Also, I (Mom) want to spend one day wine tasting. Is it best to do that from Auckland or Wellington?

Thank you in advance for your advice and suggestions.

Oz
reviews: 32
1. Re: NZ in July with 21 year olds

Hi,

I assume you are visiting for business not pleasure so are stuck with the cities. Not what New Zealand is about at all. If that is the case I would send the young adults off on a cheap internal flight to Queenstown for some fun and skiing whilst you attend to business.

If my assumption is incorrect and you are visiting for pleasure you should at least take tours to visit the thermal areas, Bay of Islands, and Taupo.

You will see in the "things to do" tab that wine tours are available from both Wellington and Auckland.

Cheers,

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
reviews: 101
2. Re: NZ in July with 21 year olds

Hi jar519,

Waiheke Island in Auckland's Hauraki Gulf offers several good wine tours. It's a unique island with beaches, seaviews, native bush, art studios and wineries. Catch a Fullers ferry from downtown Auckland for a day-tour.

The Waitakere Ranges and west coast beaches with their black-sand and surf are awesome scenes during winter. (think the movie The Piano - Karekare beach). Wrap up well and enjoy a day out. There are wineries located around Kumeu, on the way to Muriwai beach, with cellar door sales. several have onsite cafes.

Auckland is known as the city of sails. Perhaps do an eco-tour on the Hauraki gulf with ExploreNZ or similar adventure. Tiritiri-Matangi island is a bird sanctuary that you can visited by passenger ferry day-tour from downtown, aboard 360 Discovery tours.

For shopping, Parnell, Newmarket and Ponsonby have delightful boutiques and stores, as well as good cafes and restaurants.

Visit the Auckland War Memorial Museum to experience the twice daily Maori concert held in the Maori exhibits hall on the ground floor. Follow this up with a drive to the summit of Mt Eden (volcanic cone) and perhaps One Tree Hill. Both offer stunning views of Auckland's urban sprawl. Visit Skytower at dusk or night-time.

The Viaduct basin and Wynyard Quarter have lots of outdoor cafes alongside the inner harbour.

Waitomo Caves can be experienced as a day-trip from Auckland.

There is bungi, abseiling, zip-lining, kayaking, cycling and Snow-planet if your family are keen for an adrenaline rush during their time in Auckland.

3. Re: NZ in July with 21 year olds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 12, 2014