We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland museum..

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 44
Auckland museum..

Just wanting to know if it is worth seeing the Maori performance at the Auckland museum if we plan t see the Tamaki maori village performance in Rotorua..

If they are similar....

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Macau
reviews: 204
1. Re: Auckland museum..

Probably not necessary. While I love Maori performances, having grown up with the culture, not everyone finds it so thrilling and maybe once is enough, however the Polynesian collection at the Auckalnd Museum is great (and free) - I especially love the canoes.

Auckland
reviews: 104
2. Re: Auckland museum..

We have personally seen (and can recommend) the Mitai Maori evening show and hangi in Rotorua.

Melbourne, Australia
3. Re: Auckland museum..

Zhuhai, is that collection in the same museum , the War Museum.. or the Maritime museum.., they are not free if non-residents, either way l would like to see them we are going to the Maritime museum also, needed to know if it was the same performance , as we might not have the time .

l am sure we will see more of the Maori's performing as we will also be going to Whakarewarewa -.

Thanks to you Muriwaidonna, ,

Heard good reports about both Maori show, and as we are going to see the glow worms in Waitomo, hubby said we will see the Tamaki

Edited: 7:25 am, November 19, 2012
Auckland
reviews: 104
4. Re: Auckland museum..

(Mitai much more than just glow worms!...you'll also see their warriors come down the awa [river] in their waka [canoe] ). Readers would be very interested to hear your reports if you could come back and give us your findings here? :)

Auckland
reviews: 84
5. Re: Auckland museum..

That collection is at the Auckland War Memorial Museum.

Auckland, New...
6. Re: Auckland museum..

Kia ora Carmen,

Thanks for your inquiry. I would definitely think about doing both as the two locations offer very different experiences. Auckland Museum houses one of the largest Maori and Pacific Island collections in the world, and our cultural performance is a great introduction to our Maori culture. During your visit you would also get to explore our Pacific Island galleries, and as Auckland is the largest Polynesian city in the world, these galleries offer great insights into the Pacific cultures.

Then I would suggest heading to Rotorua to experience Tamaki Tours as their experience delves deeply into the Maori culture including more of the legends and customs and you also get to experience a delicious hangi meal as well.

So again, two very different experiences, but both very complimentary of each other.

If you would like to make a booking with us please let me know and I can assist. Our cultural performances are available daily at 11am, 12 noon, 1.30pm and 2.30pm. I can also pass your details onto our friends at Tamaki Tours so they can contact you if you want to make a booking with them.

Kind regards,

Adam (Tourism Manager at Auckland Museum ataylor@aucklandmuseum.com)

Melbourne, Australia
7. Re: Auckland museum..

Auckland Museum, thank you for your input, l will certainly look further into doing both and l have all your site details bookmarked , so if l need to book its all ready... but as l am still planning the trip, and with a limited time in Auckland, will see if l can try to make time for the whole thing...

hopefully l will...

8. Re: Auckland museum..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, December 16, 2013