We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting - Where to stay Auckland

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
england
reviews: 4
Visiting - Where to stay Auckland

Help...left Auckland in 1964(!) and am due to return in Jan.2006 for a couple of weeks.

Advice please: Need place to stay for 2-4 days while we (re)explore North Shore area.(Belmont/Bayswater/Browns Bay etc) Low key ,relaxed place will do fine.

Will then head South and return(same place?) in circa one week.

How do we transfer from Airport to suggested accomodation?

Have booked car from Day 2 so no probs there!

Thanxs in advance>>>>>>>>>>

Auckland Region...
reviews: 54
1. Re: Visiting - Where to stay Auckland

Hi There

You will not recognise the place upon your return. It is just a "bit" different.

Belmont and Bayswater are pretty average locations on the shore when but for a one kilometre difference you could stay in Devonport. Looking good there with a great selection of small shops and cafes.

An accomodation choice you may wish to check out is the Esplanade Hotel.

http://www.esplanadehotel.co.nz/home.htm

Or you could stay in a B&B. There are several listed on here or you could look under the following link.

http://www.bnb.co.nz/search.html

Can't attest as to any of their good or bad points as I live here and as such have not stayed in any of them.

Are you getting your car at the airport? Or are you picking it up later.

If you are picking it up later you could head up to the North Shore by taking a Shuttle from the airport. The shuttles are by the taxi rank to your left when you clear immigration formalities upon landing.

Hope this helps

Ponsonby, Auckland
reviews: 41
2. Re: Visiting - Where to stay Auckland

I agree Auckland/ New Zealand is a totally different place from when you were here last. Everything now stays open.

Get a shuttle from airport. door to door service, cheap but will take ages to North Shore.

When you return I suggest you try Ponsonby which is now the happening place, better restaurants than Devonport and a link bus service means you do not even need a car for a few days. From Ponsonby you are close to everthing.

Ponsonby, Auckland
reviews: 41
3. Re: Visiting - Where to stay Auckland

I agree Auckland/ New Zealand is a totally different place from when you were here last. Everything now stays open.

Get a shuttle from airport. door to door service, cheap but will take ages to North Shore.

When you return I suggest you try Ponsonby which is now the happening place, better restaurants than Devonport and a link bus service means you do not even need a car for a few days. From Ponsonby you are close to everthing.

New York City, New...
reviews: 10
4. Re: Visiting - Where to stay Auckland

we stayed one night at the Sheraton in Auckland, its only a few blocks from the main shopping drag that leads down to the waterfront (can't remember names of streets, it was last Nov). I would recommend staying near the waterfront if you want to be close to things. I also highly recommend a short ferry trip to Waiheke Island, it was incredible!

Waiheke Island, New...
reviews: 107
5. Re: Visiting - Where to stay Auckland

The Sheraton is now gone, closed down, kaput, finished.

Great pity as it one of my favourites. Just away from the city noise but close enough to reach everything. It is now called the Langham

www.gotoauckland.com

england
reviews: 4
6. Re: Visiting - Where to stay Auckland

Thanks to all who responded. I have decided to stay in Devonport,primarily as I KNEW the area well,in another lifetime!

Keep the suggestions coming...........

reviews: 16
7. Re: Visiting - Where to stay Auckland

Hi,

The Emerald Inn in Takapuna is nice, as is the Spencer on Byron in Takapuna.

Langham (Sheraton) isn't close to anything you want to go to, you can stay at the Mercure at Downtown or the Hilton for a splurge.

Suggest you arrange a shuttle to your hotel if possible, check out taxis under yellowpages.co.nz and see if you can negotiate a deal, otherwise you're looking at $55 to the city.

Auckland Region...
reviews: 80
8. Re: Visiting - Where to stay Auckland

Quay West apartments are downtown and near the ferry terminal...Great views and facilities too .