We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do Taxi in Auckland accept credit cards?

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Englewood, Ohio
reviews: 62

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 66
1. Re: Do Taxi in Auckland accept credit cards?

well they do in christchurch, auckland thinks itis more advanced to christchurch, so I would guess they do

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
reviews: 29
2. Re: Do Taxi in Auckland accept credit cards?

Just pray that you can find one who can speak English :-)

Englewood, Ohio
reviews: 62
3. Re: Do Taxi in Auckland accept credit cards?

VBC, "Just pray that you can find one who can speak English :-)" I know what you mean, it's the same in New York City. :-)

Thanks

Whangarei, Northland
Destination Expert
for Auckland, Whangarei
reviews: 39
4. Re: Do Taxi in Auckland accept credit cards?

Auckland co-op taxis are the biggest taxi firm in Auckland (09 3003000), and they do take credit card.

To be honest, although there are many taxi drivers who have English as their 2nd language, I have never had any problems with communicating with taxi drivers in Auckland, and they have always known where they are going and been very efficient.

new zealand
reviews: 131
5. Re: Do Taxi in Auckland accept credit cards?

most do - just advise the taxi attendant you need one with a credit card or check with the driver direct

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
reviews: 29
6. Re: Do Taxi in Auckland accept credit cards?

You might be interested in this news item

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/071104/3/2amv.html

Here's an excerpt from the article.

More than 60 taxis were ordered off the road after checks carried out by taxi enforcement staff.

Checks were carried out on 295 taxis and 163 were found not to be compliant. A total of 63 were ordered off the road for a variety of safety reasons.

Ms Wells said this was a cause for some concern as more than half the taxis examined had at least one notifiable defect and more than 20 percent were unsafe enough to be ordered off the road immediately.

Taxi Federation executive director Tim Reddish said taxi companies needed to use self-compliance regimes.

He said standards have not been acceptable for many years.

Whangarei, Northland
Destination Expert
for Auckland, Whangarei
7. Re: Do Taxi in Auckland accept credit cards?

I think vbc will have everyone too scared to even get in a taxi in Auckland.

The rule is to use a reputable company - as I mentionned in my last post, use Auckland Co-op taxis and you can't go too far wrong.

Singapore
reviews: 6
8. Re: Do Taxi in Auckland accept credit cards?

hi guys.. am in auckland city now and will need to get a cab to the domestic airport to take a flight down to Christchurch.

My experience with cab drivers in Hamilton and AKL the past week was less than stellar. The first cab driver charged me over $25 for what was a 5 minute each way roundtrip to the petrol station (for me to get emergency toiletries.. my luggage was delayed and the conference accoms had no toiletries!). The meter was on but I was billed as double or something? (Or was it really that expensive). Second time was from the car rental (A2B) in AKL to the airport. The meter wasn't running and we were charged a flat fee of $25.

Is it normal for the meter to be off for cabs?

Whangarei, Northland
Destination Expert
for Auckland, Whangarei
9. Re: Do Taxi in Auckland accept credit cards?

Hi

Meter should not be off unless you specifically ask for, and are quoted a flat rate for a particular journey.

As per my previous posts, if you use Auckland Co-op taxis, 09 3003000, then you can't go wrong.

New Zealand
10. Re: Do Taxi in Auckland accept credit cards?

Saiden - if you had a 10 minute trip for $25 I would say that sounds about right? Meter should slow down when you are stopped and waiting at traffic lights etc.

AS for the A2B charge - aren't they a car rental firm not a taxi service? So I would imagine the $25 flat fee was just that, a flat fee they charge for returning you to the airport so you don't ahve to drop off the rental car and THEN get a taxi to airport?