We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Island

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sherbrooke, Canada
reviews: 112
North Island

Hello there,

I am wondering if this itinerary is realistic. 3 nights in Auckland to recuperate from jet lag and some sight seing. 2 nights in Ahipara, then 2 nights in Paihia, 2 nights in Coromandel. 2 nights in Rotorua and finally 3 nights in Wellington. We will be driving every where. Is that a decent driving? We don't want to be more than 6 hours in the car per day. Thanking you in advance for all your reply.

NZ
1. Re: North Island

Kia ora

www.aatravel.co.nz has a useful driving time/distance calculator .

Auckland to Ahipara is about 4 1/2 to 5 hours, depending on motorway traffic out of Auckland. (I came through at the wrong time yesterday and what is usually a 5 minute stretch took 25 minutes.)

Two nights in Auckland would be enough, since your overall time is so brief. You could even cut it to one night, unless there are things you especially want to do there. As an ex-Aucklander I find things out of Auckland to be much better than things in Auckland.

Similarly with Wellington.

Hokianga North...
reviews: 4
2. Re: North Island

Hi, I am guessing you are flying out from wellington? Why not take off a night in wellington and spend it in Hokianga? I am amazed more travellers don't stay here- you could do it in between Ahipara and Paihia, stay in teh south hokianga and do a night tour of teh kauri forest with a maori guide, really magical. The tour leaves from Copthorne Hotel in Omapere but you don't have to be staying there to go on it. I reccomend Mckenzies b and b also Ti Kouka B and B for awesome views over the harbour and great accommodation

Whangarei, Northland
Destination Expert
for Auckland, Whangarei
reviews: 39
3. Re: North Island

AKL to Ahipara = 5 hours

Ahipara to Paihia = 1.5 hours

Paihia to Coromandel = 6+ hours depending on which bit of the Coromandel.

Coromandel to Rotorua = 3 or 4 hours

Rotorua to Wellington = 6 hours

So your itinerary is do-able but could be changed a bit to cut out the longest driving days....

2 nights in Auckland

2 nights in Paihia (or Opua or Russell or Kerikeri)

2 nights in Ahipara

1 night in Whangarei

2 nights in Coromandel

2 nights in Rotorua

1 night in Hawkes Bay or Martinborough

2 nights in Wellington

This splits up the driving times a bit better, and lets you see a bit more of the country.

Montreal
4. Re: North Island

jojo,

e-mail me (if you feel comfortable with doing so): roo010667@yahoo.com

I think I might be able to help you out.

Montreal
5. Re: North Island

Sorry, I should have qualified the above comment. I'm a kiwi, residing in Montreal- hence the e-amil.

New York
reviews: 9
6. Re: North Island

The Paihia - Coromandel leg might be a bit much in one day but it depends how much driving you want to do and how you plan to get to the Coromandel.

Btw, I agree that Hokianga is beautiful (esp the sanddunes which you can go down on your board right into the ocean - so much fun!). And the drive to the Kauri forest is very pretty. It would make the drive to Coromandel more brutal though as the Hokianga is further north...

Sherbrooke, Canada
reviews: 112
7. Re: North Island

thanks everyone. Will take some note.

Montreal
8. Re: North Island

Check your e-mail.

9. Re: North Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, August 29, 2009