We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Island Itinerary

london
reviews: 19
North Island Itinerary

Hi All,

I will be travelling to NZ with my wife and 2 daughters (9 and 14) in December 2008, we will be hiring a car and staying with friends for a few nights in Auckland. Our proposed itinerary is as follows, have we missed any significant sights/staying too long anywhere:

14/12 Auckland - Mount Eden, visit city

15/12 Auckland-Paihia, visit Kauri trees in Waipoua forest and Waitangi Treaty grounds

16/12 Bay Islands - cruise to Cape Brett Lighthouse and through the Hole in Rock.

17/12 Return Auckland - visit city

18/12 Auckland - Mount Maunganui/Tauranga - Rotorua, visit Waitomo glowworm caves

19/12 Rotorua - Whakarewarewa thermal reserve, Maori Hangi (feast) and cultural performance

20/12 Rotorua - Taupo - Napier, visit Huka falls and Lake Taupo

21/12 River Valley

22/12 Napier - Wellington, visit wineries

23/12 Wellington - city sights, Te Papa (national museum)

24/12 Depart Wellington 1505

Many thanks for your help.

Rgds,

Sat

New Zealand
reviews: 8
1. Re: North Island Itinerary

Hi Sat, a few comments;

15/12- this will be a long day especially if you are going to visit the forest(on the way up?) You may be best to drive back to Auckland via the west coast and see the forest on the way down.

18/12- Waitomo & the Mount are on opposite sides of Rotorua, this day will be a long one if in fact you can fit it in. Auck-Waitomo (3hrs) Waitomo-Mt (2hrs) Mt-Rotorua (1hr)

19/12- Wai-o-tapu is the better thermal area although Whakarewarewa(Te Puia) has an excellent cultural side.

21/12- River Valley?? Can you tell me where that is? If it where I'm thinking on the Napier Taupo Road, it's a bloody long way from Napier.

22/12- Again, quite a long day's travel (5-6 hours) without major stops. The wineries(Martinborough?) could well be closed by the time you get there or you may not make it out of Napier if you're sampling before you leave town ;)

london
2. Re: North Island Itinerary

Thanks Zappers. I will take your advice and come up with another itinerary in the next week or so.

Rgds,

Sat

New Zealand
3. Re: North Island Itinerary

Sat, sorry to muck up your plans, I didn't expect you to change it all! Curiosity got the better of me, where is River Valley (was it the one I thought)?

london
4. Re: North Island Itinerary

Hi Zappers,

My nephew visited River valley and it is near the Rangitikei River.

rivervalley.co.nz/new-zealand-adventure-7.ht…

Rgds,

Sat

New Zealand
5. Re: North Island Itinerary

THAT River Valley! Well that's OK then, actually it's not, I'll tell you why in a minute.

The River Valley I was thinking of had me worried, it's a naturalist camp, imagine that, arriving without being aware 8-/

Your River Valley is wonderful and a great place, the only problem is it's on the wrong road if you're wanting to visit Napier. It's on SH1 100kms south of Taupo and past the mountains. To get to Napier you would turn off at Taupo and head east on SH5. I know when you look at the map it looks a very short distance from River Valley to Napier but there is the small problem of a mountain range between the two and one very winding, twisting sometimes gravel road called the Gentle Annie (a misnomer if ever there was one)to get you there. A great road trip if you have the time which you don't.

london
6. Re: North Island Itinerary

Hi All,

I have changed my itinerary after taking some sound advice from Zappers:

14/12 Auckland - Mount Eden, visit city

15/12 Auckland-Paihia (146 miles), visit Kauri trees in Waipoua forest and Waitangi Treaty grounds (if time)

16/12 Bay Islands - cruise to Cape Brett Lighthouse and through the Hole in Rock. Waitangi Treaty grounds (if not day before)

17/12 Return Auckland - cruise to Waiheke Island, visit war memorial

18/12 Auckland - Mount Maunganui/Tauranga - Rotorua (232 miles), Maori Hangi (feast) and cultural performance

19/12 Rotorua - Whakarewarewa thermal reserve, Agrodome leisure park (sheep farm)

20/12 Rotorua - Waitomo glowworm caves - Taupo, visit Lake Taupo

21/12 Taupo - Napier (90 miles), visit Huka falls and Lake Taupo. Wine tour around Hawkes Bay

22/12 Napier - Wellington (202 miles), via Kapiti coast (see friends)

23/12 Wellington - city sights, Te Papa (national museum)

A couple of questions:

1. Should I go to Mt Maunganui

2. Is it worth staying overnight in Taupo or should we go straight to Napier

3. Can you do a trip from Wellington to kaikoura (see the whales) and then back to Wellington in the same day or is it easier to go to Christchurch.

Thanks.

Rgds,

Sat

New Zealand
7. Re: North Island Itinerary

1. Should I go to Mt Maunganui- Definitely! One of the most beautiful golden sand beaches in NZ.

2. Is it worth staying overnight in Taupo or should we go straight to Napier- Good idea, leave early the next morning though so you have nearly a full day in Napier

3. Can you do a trip from Wellington to kaikoura (see the whales) and then back to Wellington in the same day or is it easier to go to Christchurch- much better to do it from ChCh, I don't think you'll manage two ferry crossings(2-3hrs each) plus the drive (2+hrs each way) and a whale watch all in one day!

london
8. Re: North Island Itinerary

Thanks Zappers all very useful advice. My itinerary is looking good now.

Thanks again.

9. Re: North Island Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, September 20, 2009