We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pikiri beach?

Sudbury, Canada
Destination Expert
for Sudbury
reviews: 130
Pikiri beach?

Is Pikiri beach, near the Goat Island Reserve, worth checking out?

We are considering staying there for the night after snorkelling/checking out Leigh/Goat Island Reserve and then heading to Tauranga the following day. I've heard this is about a 4 hour drive is that correct? Any route suggestions? Stops on the way?

One concern I have with staying at Pikiri is what if the weather is bad? Is there things to do inside near Leigh if it is raining? I doubt we would spend much time snorkelling if the weather isn't nice. We will be there in the middle of April and from what I gather it could go either way.

The alternatives are:

1. Drive straight to Tauranga from Leigh after visiting the reserve

2. Stay somewhere between Leigh and Tauranga

Any opinions? Suggestions?

New Zealand
reviews: 8
1. Re: Pikiri beach?

If you have the time and want to see a beautiful beach and also move off the tourist trail a bit then yes it's worth visiting. There's plenty to do in the surrounding area as well from vineyards to craft & pottery shops. I would just relax and walk the 9kms of golden sand beach- wet or fine it's great to explore.

It is at least 4 hours to Tauranga, check out my inside page for things to do once you are south of Auckland. There really isn't anywhere I'd recommend to stay in between, it's small town rural NZ at it's best. It is a lovely drive that shouldn't be rushed (except the section through Auckland :)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255104-c3825/New-Zea…

Northland, New...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Pikiri beach?

Pakiri beach is a good place to stay - there are lots of great wineries, arts & crafts places etc around Matakana area. Also the Sawmill cafe at Leigh is definitely worth a visit and often also has excellent bands playing.

I would think Leigh/Pakiri to Tauranga is more like 4.5 hours

Sudbury, Canada
Destination Expert
for Sudbury
3. Re: Pikiri beach?

Thank you both for your help!

New Zealand
reviews: 2
4. Re: Pikiri beach?

On our annual trip to all the holiday parks we always enjoy going to the Pakiri Beach Park. Fun trip there and a good area plus a nice beach.

Going through Matakana be sure to stop by the Patisserie for the best baked goods in the country........................

Sudbury, Canada
Destination Expert
for Sudbury
5. Re: Pikiri beach?

I'll take note of that Ron. I have quite the sweet tooth :)

6. Re: Pikiri beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, September 11, 2009