We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southern United...
reviews: 41
Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

I have heard that the crossing on the ferry generally is rough from Perth to Rottnest Island. Is this true as I am a nervous sailor

Would you recommend this day trip?

28 replies to this topic
Cornwall, United...
reviews: 37
21. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

I know but as you said too, Rottnest is a unique place and IMHO it would be a shame if someone was put off going by the possibility of a rough crossing and feeling sick! Wrist band really do seem to work better though!

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
reviews: 275
22. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

Bella, the boat crew told us that if we felt sick, looking at the horizon and/or getting into the water would help (this was in Hawaii). Ha. What they didn't mention was that the horizon moves when you're bobbing in the water. I think they just said that because they didn't want folks getting sick on the boat :-)

Fudge, all you can do is take some meds/patch/bracelet/whatever and hope for the best. That's what I did on the ferry to Rotto - I found that starring at the big TV screen on the boat and trying to forget that I was on the water in very rough conditions distracted me and kept me somewhat steady (that and seasickness tabs taken an hour before getting on the boat) . The saving grace for me was that it's a short ride.

I envy those of you with sea legs.

You won't know unless you go! Enjoy WA.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 17
23. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

<< The horizon kept going up and down so that didn't help. >>

<< the horizon moves when you're bobbing in the water>>

I think you guys are missing the point. The horizon certainly doesn't move - you are the one moving - and the idea with staring at the shoreline is to focus on the non-moving area. If it's small and in the distance this can be difficult but it *IS* worth the effort, and it *WILL* stave off queasiness if done correctly, for most people (this probably won't cure you if you're already fully seasick).

The reason this works is that it allows your brain to "match up" the inner ear sensations - of you and the boat moving up and down, with the fixed horizon/shoreline. Seasickness occurs because the inner ear detects movement, but the immediate surroundings of the boat are not moving (with respect to your body). This causes confusion - so the idea is to cancel out that confusion by focusing on the horizon, and your body will feel the movement more naturally with respect to the fixed point.

I've been in very rough seas but have rarely been fully seasick, because I've used this method to stop any queasiness when it comes on. (The only time I've been very seasick was when forced to go down below - where the horizon wasn't visible.) It can be much more difficult to focus on the horizon when far away from shore, I will admit. But trust in the seafarers who are giving you this tried and true advice, just know that it requires focus to do properly.

Edited: 8:28 pm, July 13, 2014
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
reviews: 275
24. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

Not missing the point at all Jeremy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, that's all.

Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
reviews: 5
25. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

Yeah, same here :( Only thing that seemed to make me feel better was half an hour flat on my back with my eyes closed.

Different strokes...

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 17
26. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

Melnq8, I understand it doesn't always work and I agree that seasickness is a personal thing - but my point was that the horizon DOESN'T move - that's the whole point - and this is a valid method that works for many people, they weren't just making that up. And yes laying on your back with your eyes closed often does work too, but may take a while. Try to go to a part of the boat with less movement (usually the centre).

27. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 am, July 18, 2014

Wollongong...
reviews: 234
28. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

Yes I would recommend going to the island. It's only a half hour trip, so if it is rough, it'll be over before you know it. Ours was a bit rough going over there, but calm on the way back. You can get weather forecasts before committing. Have a read of my reviews of the island.

Edited: 9:03 pm, July 17, 2014
Reply to: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted