We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Western Australia ..which journey?

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Barcelona, Spain
reviews: 5
Western Australia ..which journey?

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are planning to spend 21 days in Australia. We have already been there in 2006 , we did Cairn to Sydney with caravan. ( in a month) Such a great time!

This time our dream is to explore the Western side of the Country, again with a caravan.

There are so many options and infos out there that make a decision is just to hard. I am sure some expert advise will help us to make up our minds.

Ideally we would fly into Perth take a caravan and leave it and fly out from a different airport.

Besides Perth, Darwin and Broome are there any other small airports on the west side?

The first idea was to drive along the coast , Perth to Darwin, but 4000km it s just to much right? too crazy ?

Should we doing just the south west loop? Or maybe up to the coral coast?

Perhaps Perth to Broome and back to Europe from Broome airport?

Thanks in advance for your comments /advise/suggestions...

Kileua

29 replies to this topic
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
21. Re: Western Australia ..which journey?

It's the inland section that's dodgy. Kerry's suggested itinerary is a good one and along the lines of what I was thinking- you're essentially driving on the same roads but stopping in different places on the way up and back. You could add in Cervantes, Greenough, Dongara, and New Norcia at some point on the way up or back.

If you want to do some inland stuff you could do a loop down the west coast to the south then along the southerly coast to Esperance, then up to Kalgoorlie and head back west to Perth.

Edited: 8:04 am, June 27, 2014
Dundee, United...
reviews: 13
22. Re: Western Australia ..which journey?

If it were me I would not drive from Perth to Adelaide there is nothing en route to see however I have done both the south trip which has been suggested and the north trip as far as Broome which we took 3 weeks there and back staying in a few places on the way up and down and 7 days in Broome itself. The experience was wonderful but that was in July month before the threat of Cyclones. The previous visit was from Perth to Albany, Pemberton, Margaret and all the places mentioned above. That was also good but the time of year (September) dictated cooler weather in the south. Did not mar the holiday one bit though. This year we are going back up north as far as Coral Bay (September) back to Perth then flying to Sydney. Yes the car hire people are charging $250 because we are dropping the car off at Brisbane Airport which if we want a car we have to pay the price. Whichever you choose enjoy - we will.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
23. Re: Western Australia ..which journey?

<<<<If it were me I would not drive from Perth to Adelaide there is nothing en route to see>>>>

Sometimes that is exactly what people from more populated countries do in fact want to see and experience. The wide open desert spaces, the wildlife, the peace.

Perth
reviews: 10
24. Re: Western Australia ..which journey?

Hey, Kileua.

When are you planning on arriving in Western Australia. As a previous reply mentioned, it really will depend on the time of year you will be here.

Google or search for Perth Travel Agents and try one of the local agents as they will have the most relevant information for what you are planning to do.

If you need any specific info, please feel free to message me.

Buenos dias.

Ipswich, England...
reviews: 33
25. Re: Western Australia ..which journey?

I think post 8 would be great for you. We have been to most of those places mentioned and the variety of scenery and experiences makes it wonderful. Having said that, we are doing Broome to Perth in October and I'm a bit apprehensive but fully prepared. One difference is the remoteness with places to stop few and far between. Long stretches of red dirt and I've been advised of the huge trucks that regularly use the route. Difficult to overtake when towing a caravan.

Too late for us to change our plans as all is booked and partly paid for.

Also, if you break down, which happened to us in new Zealand, you could be miles from anywhere and expect a long wait for assistance.

We also did Sydney to Cairns once and that was fine because we had plenty places to stop and a month to do it.

Will you not be spending any time in Perth itself and Fremantle? If not, you'll miss out on a lot.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 3
26. Re: Western Australia ..which journey?

Buenos noches,

If I were you I would keep the dream of the Coral coast but be prepared to change your plans. Cyclones will be tracked and you can always pack up the caravan and head south or inland away from the cyclone should you be unlucky enough to weather one. Kariji is spectacular and should not be missed, although would probably be better after the wet season for better flowing waterfalls (after February). Kalbarri 6 hours from Perth, and Lancelin 2 hours from perth, are quick and on the way to Perth away from cyclones should you need to change your plans.

Buen suerte

Rochester, United...
27. Re: Western Australia ..which journey?

wish you luck

Rochester, United...
28. Re: Western Australia ..which journey?

send me photos

Barcelona, Spain
reviews: 5
29. Re: Western Australia ..which journey?

Hi all, thanks for your posts! They very much appreciated..

@GuapoPepito : I will be travelling this coming November, 3 weeks. I will do as you advised and contact a local travel agent, gracias.

@Eileen, we only have 3 weeks and we want to avoid cities (we live in one and need to escape !) :) as Perfectly Perth said ...."Sometimes that is exactly what people from more populated countries do in fact want to see and experience. The wide open desert spaces, the wildlife, the peace.". We might visit Perth on our way back just one day , or Rottenest iland.(perhaps)

@Kriddle, we will! We stick to our Coral Coast and see how it goes along the way:)

@Fredasmith : did you do Perth to Broome and back in 3 weeks , was it a road trip? Can you send me your itinerary? Also what are you exactly doing in Sep? Perth Coral Bay , will it be a road trip again? thanks for sharing :)

Adios I lkeep you posted!

Teresa

Reply to: Western Australia ..which journey?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted