We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Itinerary

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
reviews: 12
Help with Itinerary

Hello, it's been sometime since I went to Perth. And this time I'll be bringing along my hubby and our 4 & 8 yrs old boys.

We'll be here for 6 days in mid June. This is what I've came up with. I'd really appreciate if the friendly experts cld further improve on it. Thanks in advance!

Day 1 Cottlesloe Beach-Fremantle

We'll be reaching early Saturday morning. So we'll just proceed with sightseeing since our apartment won't be ready for check-in anyway. Plan on retiring to our apartment early to get ourselves well-rested.

Day 2 King's Park - Swan River

Free & easy day for the kids to roam about. We may try the cruise. Still undecided.

Day 3 & Day 4 Albany

From memory, I recall it being a 3 or 4 hours drive. I may be wrong. Lol. But my husband is not into long drives. Are there any stops we cld do in between? Nice places to visit to make the drive more pleasant?

Besides the Blow Holes, The Gap & Natural Bridge, are there any other attractions that would be of interest to our boys?

Day 5 Albany - Perth

Enroute back, I'm considering to do a stopover at the Valley of the Giants & Tree Top Walk. Because we'll be going in mid June, I understand the Tree Top Walk may be closed due to the strong winds. But can we still explore & check out the trees? I saw from pictures and they look very interesting.

Day 6 Perth

Not too sure where to go really. Any nice shopping malls we can bring the boys to? Possibly with a cinema? We have a full day today cos our flight will be early next morning.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
1. Re: Help with Itinerary

Albany is more like a 4 1/2 hour minimum drive without stopping. For such a short time in WA, you might want to reconsider and only go as far as Margaret River, especially as the weather is chilly and getting colder, and raining as well. If the weather is OK a stop at Busselton to see the Busselton Observatory would be cool for the boys.

For Day 2, keep an eye on the weather, it may not be a good day for playing in King's Park. Have a Plan B.

For Day 6, there are lots of things you can do with your boys which do not involve shopping, something you can do at home much more cheaply. Why not plan something you can only do here, since you've spent all that money to get here?

Have a look at the trip ideas over at the right of the screen, and the WA Tourism website

westernaustralia.com/au/Pages/Welcome_to_Wes…

for ideas.

You will need to hire a booster seat for your four year old, best to notify the car hirer ASAP so they can have one ready for you.

Fremantle, Australia
reviews: 35
2. Re: Help with Itinerary

Yes Albany is a 5 hour drive with a short stop- longer with more stops of course. At Williams is the Woolstore cafe and Kojonup has Black Cockatoo cafe. As much as I love Albany, if you don't like long drives then agree with Yorkfoodie that Margaret River is better as a more manageable 3 hour drive. Plenty to do and see.

On Day 5 I would stay in MR or Albany - whatever are you choose there's more than enough to keep you busy and come back to Perth on Day 6.

If you choose to go to Albany then Whaleworld and Frenchmans Bay is a good spot for kids as is Emu Point. I love the Windfarm area-actually hate The Gap as frightening! Driving back to Perth from Tree TopWalk will a long day.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 575
3. Re: Help with Itinerary

Another vote for staying in MR for another night before heading back to Perth for your flight home.

Singapore
4. Re: Help with Itinerary

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions. We'll spend 1 night at Margaret River before heading back to Perth. Besides the Fremantle to visit during weekends, are there any other places worth a visit as well? Coz our last day in Perth is a Friday. Otherwise, maybe we'll just bring them to The Maze.

Singapore
5. Re: Help with Itinerary

Hi again TA experts! We hv decided to forgo Albany. And we wld visit the Chocolate Factory at Margaret River, the Busselton Jetty, caves & lighthouse at Dunsborough and Dolphin Centre at Bunbury. Wld this be doable over a period of 3 days? We can perhaps stay a night at MR & a night for a farmstay. Wld this be better than our original itinerary? Pls let us know. And thanx again in advance!

Perth, Australia
reviews: 44
6. Re: Help with Itinerary

Although you have decided to forgo Albany, re travelling time. We have just spent the long weekend in Albany. The trip down (Albany Highway), due to being stuck behind trucks a few times, took close to 5 hours, with a half hour stop at Kojonup @ Black Cockatoo Cafe - well worth a visit. However, the trip home (southern suburbs) only took 4 hours non stop. No speeding as many police visible and double demerits applicable for WA licence holders.

Definitely worth a visit. We had 3 boys with us aged 9,13 & 15, and they loved the rocks and Whale World.

In answer to your query # 5, Yes that is doable. I would endeavour to stay at one location rather than move. Why not farmstay for 3 nights in the region?

perth
reviews: 84
7. Re: Help with Itinerary

The city is very close to Kings Park so if the weather goes sour, you can always head there. There is a Margaret river chocolate store near the mall now.

Saturday mornings is the farmer markets in Subiaco or Mount Claremont. Cottesloe is very near to them. Great for food and local produce. Station Street Markets in Subiaco is also open.

Are your boys interested in Australian Wildlife, Caversham Wildlife park is a great place with a walk through Kangaroo enclosure allowing people to feed and get up real close to the Kangaroos. It is a 30 min drive from the CBD.

If you do Margaret river, be sure to drop in at Simmo's ice creamery in Dunsborough. Lovely family friendly place and they have a emu that loves ice cream too.

Another suggestion is a farm stay in Pemberton instead of Margaret river. The drive down there is beautiful.

http://www.diamondforest.com.au/

Singapore
8. Re: Help with Itinerary

Thank you so much for all the valuable advice!! We have decided to definitely heed them. Will be staying 2 nights in Perth, 2 nights of farmstay in Pemberton. Thank you so much for your recommendation of The Diamond Forest Leanne!! This will be followed by another 2 nights stay in Margaret River and a final night in Perth. I am so excited! 7 more days to our trip!

For our accommodation in Perth, we are finalizing the details with Verandah Apartments. And we will be booking our farm stay tomorrow as well. Still studying on the lodging options at Margaret River. And the car hire packages as well. Hopefully by Sunday we would have ironed out everything.

Again, thank you all for your generous tips and advice!! Really appreciate it.

perth,W.A
9. Re: Help with Itinerary

I agree cost of living should be the main concern..

10. Re: Help with Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 am, June 14, 2013