We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perth at Christmas

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Perth at Christmas

My husband and I along with 2year active toddler planning on going to Perth and WA for 3 weeks at Christmas. I was wondering is it neccesary to book accomadation ahead of time. Is everywhere really busy. We are planning on a few nights in Perth then heading on South or North, even getting a car/campervan and doing some camping. Would you need to book campsites ahead of time too? Any suggestions helpful. Seasoned traveller but without the kids, new experience for us

Fremantle, Australia
reviews: 5
1. Re: Perth at Christmas

Generally preferable to head southward at that time of year, although Christmas has been quite coolish these past couple of years (by our standards ) so be prepared for that.

Yes definitely book ahead for hotels, motels, B&B's etc and do it as soon as possible. If you decide on a campervan or similar, also reserve that now because they may not have exactly your desired type of camper available at that time of year .

You shouldn't really need to book campsites as a rule, it's very rare except in the more popular resorts like Kalbarri, Busselton and Margaret River that camper space is restricted. Even at these places, the very worse scenario may be that you might not get powered site.

If it were me, I would explore the camper idea first off and maybe treat yourself to a motel in perhaps Albany or Denmark for a couple of nights.

Ireland
2. Re: Perth at Christmas

Thanks for that, nice to get some local knowledge, and put your mind at rest.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 62
3. Re: Perth at Christmas

It will be warm by Irish standards here it not extremely hot so come prepared. If you travel down south - definitely the way to go - be prepared for cold nights.

I think you definitely should book in advance because it is Summer holidays here and all the family friendly campsites will be booked. I have a toddler also and I agree Denmark or Albany are great for families. Denmark has a great safe beach for toddlers called Green Pool - the place for children in Albany would be Emu Point.

If you go south make sure you travel via Pemberton to pass through the giant trees in that region and then between Walpole and Denmark do the Treetop walk. In Denmark they also have this alpaca and animal farm that my son just loved -you can pat kangaroos and feed them, goats, donkeys, chickens, rabbits etc. They also have koalas and they let us pat them. You can't do that at most places.

I am sure you will have a great time.

Ireland
4. Re: Perth at Christmas

hi Limlib,

Just read your reply, great information, just what I am looking for, thanks. In process of booking campervan/motor home and not sure which is best. Obviously toddler will be in a car seat but can't seem to find information on what campers have this facility, and can they travel up front with you or in the back? Any suggestions?

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 24
5. Re: Perth at Christmas

Sunseeker,

I suggest you look at the websites of the campervan hire companies. the good ones will indicate waht is available. I've just looked at Britz (one of the bigger van hire firms) and they have a vehicle comparison table that indicates that some vehicles have 'fittings' for child seats. You'd need to contact them to find out what that means. I'm sure other companies have similar info on their websites.

I agree with the other replies - at Xmas go south and book ahead.

6. Re: Perth at Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, August 15, 2009