We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel to australia

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
brooklyn
reviews: 24
travel to australia

Has anyone used FAREBREAKERS travel agency in Brooklyn to get a fare to Australia and are they reliable? Also, does an American citizen need a visa to go to Australia? If so, can that be done on line? Many thanks.

8 replies to this topic
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
1. Re: travel to australia

To answer your questions in order:

It's unlikely you will find anyone posting here who can answer that (either part) with a 'yes'. People who post here generally are organising their holiday themselves. It is easy enough (and generally cheaper) to book directly with the airline yourself. Certainly if any problems arise it is easier to deal direct than through a third party.

Yes, everyone who is not an Australian or New Zealand citizen needs to get a visa before they come to Australia.

Yes, it can be done online. There is a link in the Top Questions on the main Australia forum to the Immigration Department's Visa Wizard. It is best to deal directly through the Australian Immigration Department.

brooklyn
reviews: 24
2. Re: travel to australia

many thanks for your response. In fact I am going to arrange things myself, just that I saw this ad and was a little tempted! Thanks for the advice on visa. Will do.

Jo

Sydney, New South...
3. Re: travel to australia

Hi there,

I've looked at the Airlines directly & Farebreakers are way much cheaper than them. For eg, my girlfriend got quoted $1,575 USD to fly from Tampa to Sydney Australia return with Australia's best and national carrier QANTAS. This deal is too good to be true as the next cheapest flight was through Webjet.com at $1,796 USD. Does anyone know if Farebreakers Travel in Brooklyn is legit? As much detail as possible would be much appreciated.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
4. Re: travel to australia

If you look on the Air Travel forum you will see many, many posts by people who have booked fares through this sort of company, only to find when they click "buy" that a gazillion extra fees and taxes are added on, making the actual cost of the fare much more than a direct price through the airline. In addition, if you have to make any changes to the tickets (name misspelled, change the date, have to cancel for any reason etc) it is almost impossible and you'll find your money has disappeared.

If it looks too good to be true, it generally is.

Orange, California
5. Re: travel to australia

Yes, I used them in April this year. I found them to have the lowest fares and they even took care of my visa.

In fact,I'm going through them again in Oct. My only issue was that they never returned my call or email. had to keep ringing them. I am happy with them!

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
6. Re: travel to australia

>>This deal is too good to be true<<

That would ring warning bells for me.

>>My only issue was that they never returned my call or email. had to keep ringing them. I am happy with them!<<

Reads like, I am happy to be be ignored by them as long as everything is going along alright, but what if something doesn't go alright and you really need to get in touch with them, rings warning bells for me.

Btw this started back in January and it's on the Perth forum for no apparent reason, it would almost have qualified for the old 6 month rule.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
7. Re: travel to australia

If I were stuck at a foreign airport and had problems that needed sorting out - cancelled flights, changed itinerary - any number of issues could arise, the last thing I would want is to be relying on a travel agent who <<never returned my call or email>>

Like YF, I would also be checking that any 'cheap' advertised price includes all taxes and surcharges.

8. Re: travel to australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, January 09, 2014

Reply to: travel to australia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted